General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gaskets & Seals

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 01:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gaskets & Seals

This may be a very silly, yet obvious answer to some, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

If I've taken the cylinder head block off, can I simply put it back on (while making sure it's clean and no residue is present) with the gasket that was there? I see some pink stuff which sort of looks like glue?

Also if I want to take off the clutch case and stator case (really just want to poke around and see what's in there! ) do I need to do anything special when putting the cases back on? It appears that both the clutch and stator cases have a green paper gasket thing while the cylinder head has a black rubber gasket. Can anyone explain the differences between the two?

Old 02-01-2012, 08:55 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

no way.... do NOT re-use the head gasket. i don't know what kind of bike you have - but it shouldn't be just rubber. it would never handle the compression. are you talking about the valve cover gasket? those are just rubber. and you can re-use those on the valve cover

the pink stuff is high tack gasket sealant. sometimes if a head gasket is really new, you can re-use it and it'll seat with high tack.

BUT....

if you've put any sort of miles on that head gasket, i'd go ahead and get another head gasket. you do NOT want to run the risk of blowing a head gasket. they usually cost somewhere around $75.

answering your other question. the green "paper" looking gasket is going between two machine fit surfaces. so the seal doesn't need to be that thick. on the valve cover (the black rubber one), it's not a machine fit surface,and it doesn't have a lot of pressure points because there are not that many bolts. as well, you need to use some hi-temp silicone (usually red) gasket maker on some of the points on the valve cover gasket.

pics would help because i don't know if you're really talking about the head gasket from the way you've described it

Old 02-02-2012, 06:13 PM

Sorry for the delay, here are the requested pictures:
I believe this is the valve cover and gasket? I plan on using some semi drying liquid gasket between the gasket and the engine as recommended by my local shop and by my clymer shop manual.

Does that mean I can open up the clutch and stator covers and still be able to reuse the green paper gaskets once I've fiddled and satisfied my curiosity?

Old 02-08-2012, 10:48 PM

I reuse the gasket for the caliper but pretty much it.. for all the reste i always put new.. Just in case..