General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel injector/ carb cleaner in my f4?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 11:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel injector/ carb cleaner in my f4?

I have gotten into the habit of dumping half a bottle of STP fuel injector and Carb cleaner into my 2000 f4 (carb) every 4 or so tanks. I have no idea why I have been doing it, I just started one day. Is it doing anything or am I wasting my money or worse causing harm to my bike? Any fuel additives that would be better for helping the bike run smooth?

Old 08-20-2009, 09:19 AM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do the same thing too, about every 4-6 tanks. Techron has always gotten rave reviews so that's what I use, but not 1/2 a bottle, only 5oz. (per directions). So you should get 3 tanks per bottle at that ratio. I was using Sea Foam and noticed it did run smoother, but at $8 a can; I can get two Techrons for that price. I picked up this stuff called Berryman's B-12 at Walmart, but it smells VERY potent. I think with that stuff, you got to be careful (I'm not gonna use it on the bike).

Old 08-20-2009, 09:25 AM

I hear equal reviews for Techron and Seafoam. Techron is newer, so maybe it's better? Seafoam's been around since the Dark Ages. Chevron stations actually put Techron in the Premium gasoline, so you know it's safe for everyday use, in all kinds of engines.

Personally, I stick to seafoam cuz I've seen it perform miracles, and only use it when I need it. Been using it since the days of carbureted cars. Beyond that, I wouldn't be too keen on throwing anything else in there that isn't specifically made for carburetors.

Last edited by johnnyx; 08-20-2009 at 09:27 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:18 AM

I always hear about seafoam but I have never actually ever seen it for sale. I wonder where I can pick that up in Alberta. Walmart, I assume, would not carry it.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:41 AM

I know for a fact that Autozone does, as that's where I get mine, and one of the reps there told me to go to Wal Mart when they were out of stock one time, though I never did. It's in a white canister with red, old-style looking lettering. Make sure you don't accidentally grab the transmission cleaner, as the cans look similar.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:47 AM

NAPA and Canadian tire... it was only recently ( a year ago?) brought into Canada (rumors of language issues).

It is a good product... although my two bits of advice are:

1) ride your bike and it won't varnish,
2) if you plan on not riding your bike for awhile stabilize the fuel

The science is that the warmer it is the faster gas will seperate and form varnish. The varnish will block smaller passages more quickly. Unfortunately that means small carb passages. You'll notice it first while idling or on choke.

Riding your bike will flow gas across the varnish, which will get rid of any that forms from normal sitting about. Let you bike sit for a few months in the heat and then it is too much...

Seafoam is one product which will eat away at the varnish. That being said, if the carbs are really bad the only thing that will work is a proper off the bike cleaning.

Consider seafoam preventative maintenance - something to do when you feel guilty. Otherwise, just ride your bike

Old 08-20-2009, 10:47 AM

I think there is at least one or two Autozone's in Calgary I will check there (crappy tire has it? I will check again!). Might as well try something new, see if I notice a difference. I definitely stabilize the fuel in the winter but the bike does go for a week or two sometimes without riding (unfortunately) during riding season on occasion when the weather sucks or I am away.

Last edited by platnumbob; 08-20-2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:25 AM

Track sessions are 3 weeks apart, and sometimes I don't touch the bike in between.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:01 AM

a few weeks is NOTHING for modern gas. Fuel companies put detergents and stabilizers in there at the distillery for just that reason. 3-6 months seems to be the "spoil" rate, depending on company.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:22 AM

depending on the company, and the air temperature. Heat reduces shelf life, cold is a fantastic thing for storage.

Quick Reply: fuel injector/ carb cleaner in my f4?