General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front wheel pulling when slightly turning left or right

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 04:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front wheel pulling when slightly turning left or right

I am a total newby and got my first CBR. It's a 95 F3 and pretty clean.I knew about this problem when I bought it but was wondering if someone has an idea what it could be. When you right it straight you won't notice it but when you press slightly right or left on the handle bars, the front wheel pulls to that directly abrubtly. Having played hours of Grand Turismo (video game) I suspect the camber angle may be off on the bike. What else could it be? Will alignment take care of it. The seller said he had the bike aligned but he didn't seem like a person who'd take care of his bike. Any help or suggestion is greatly appreciated.

HS

Old 03-23-2009, 06:29 PM

Im hoping this isnt a joke as I dont want to waste time, but on the chance this might be real question,

Bikes countersteer. they all do. Once your above a certain mph, the steering is the opposite. It sounds like this is what you are talking about.

as far as camber angle? you very well might be confused. there is no camber angle adjustment on a motorcycle. Your forks do not allow that type of movement as the wheel is straight up and down, so is the rear. You cant tilt the wheel. As for alignment, only the rear wheel is adjustable for alignment.

If this is not what your talking about, explain better exactly what happens in better detail. It sure sounds like normal countersteer to me.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:31 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just remember concept27, unlike Gran Turismo, these bikes have no reset button... if you catch my drift

Old 03-23-2009, 09:37 PM

Should have played MotoGP

Old 03-23-2009, 09:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Squid, if one fork is higher than the other wouldn't that tilt the wheel creating a "camber" issue.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:22 AM

Thanks guys for the rather detailed (and somewhat sarcastic, it's all good we're all guys here...) insight. To give justasquid a better idea what I was talking about: Just like a bicycle that is low on air in the front, the wheel was pulling to the sides when you even applied slightest pressure. The wheel would make a sorta half circle and come back to the center quickly, causing the motorcycle to wobble. Very uncomfortable and uncontrollable situation. It would do that especially in low speeds, while coming to a stop at a red light you'd notice it the most.

As it turns out, the air pressure on the front tire was low. After adjusting the air all is well now. I went from getting suggestions about bent forks, bad bearings and loose screws on the wheels to a very helpful tip from a tech at Hollywood Honda who insisted I go check the air pressure while he was holding the phone.

Thank you all again for the quick responses and sorry if I sounded like a beginner. I am a happy camper again.

Thanks again!

Last edited by concept27; 03-24-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:16 PM

Hey Squid, if one fork is higher than the other wouldn't that tilt the wheel creating a "camber" issue.
I know what your saying, but it still wouldnt. You would have one side of your wheel have more pressure from the fork on it, but since the forks are straight up and down, and the only line possible is directly 90 deg's to the wheel, it still wont be cambered, in order to have camber, the axle would have to be allowed to tilt up and down on either fork, which its not as it goes straight through both axles. You would have one fork fully extened while the other is being held partially compressed by the other fork. Both straight up and down, just more force from one than the other. the axle will still be straight across, not tilted.

hey concept, sorry if anything came across sarcastic. the last thing this board needs is to scare away potential new members. So in other words...welcome aboard...

Old 03-24-2009, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by justasquid
...the last thing this board needs is to scare away potential new members. So in other words...welcome aboard...
Thanks squid. I wasn't offended or anything. I liked the responses. This is a great place for CBR owner. Tons of great information. I'll be looking forward to the Senior Member title in the years to come.

HS

Old 03-24-2009, 05:24 PM

You should check your tires as part of your pre-ride inspection. That includes tire pressure ,tread depth and a quick visual check to see if there are anything stuck in the tire. You only have two tires and must be able to rely on them. Happy trails.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by thrasher572
You should check your tires as part of your pre-ride inspection.
Amen to that. Ignorance was definitely the cause. Thank you for the advise.