General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front signal lights always on itsept for when I click switch.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 01:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front signal lights always on itsept for when I click switch.

Installed mototeck flush mount led signal lights on my 2000 cbr600f4, They are two wires so I put the positive(green) to the blue and the negative(black) to the blue/white.
Well they are always on but when I click my signal switch they shut off on the side that im signaling.
Any info or help would be awsome, I have searched for this couldnt find anything helpfull.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup.

The original lights were three wire. One for ground, one for day time running lights, and the third for blinking.

When the indicator is on the day time running light turns off - otherwise it wouldn't blink.

So - you have to connect swap which power wire you use from the always on to the blinking one.

That being said - someone posted a little circuit with a couple of resistors that replicated that functionality...

Old 07-21-2009, 06:16 PM

Yep as said above you connected your hot to the wrong wire. Just cut and swap problem fixed.

btw I wouldn't use resistors, they generate heat to drop the voltage. (melting plastic) =o

Old 07-21-2009, 06:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The poster who had done it had setup something pretty slick... honestly I'd be tempted to use a relay - but I'm crazy like that

Have to see what search turned up... 3 wire light mod might get it.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:41 PM

I tried swapping the power wires, but it didnt even light up.. but i'll play around with it somemore..
It should work without the running lights tho correct? Im new to motorcycles and am not very good with electircal what will i need to correct the led flash rate when i finish?
I have made my own tail with the stock signal bulbs glued into the stock tail, if i get some kind of rate controller for leds will it mess the rear stock filament bulbs flash rate up?

Old 07-21-2009, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by g9s5r
I tried swapping the power wires, but it didnt even light up.. but i'll play around with it somemore..
It should work without the running lights tho correct? Im new to motorcycles and am not very good with electircal what will i need to correct the led flash rate when i finish?
I have made my own tail with the stock signal bulbs glued into the stock tail, if i get some kind of rate controller for leds will it mess the rear stock filament bulbs flash rate up?
If it didn't light up id say you one swapped the wrong wires, or two swapped wires while the bike was on and maybe popped a fuse. But I hooked mine up without the running lights because I don't like them.. Clipped and covered the running wire, connected the other two.

As for the bulbs in the back I don't know for sure but I don't think it will bother anything. If front are going fast so are the back.. no matter what type of bulbs they are.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:57 PM

Thanks for all the help. First question on this site and im real happy to see some people actually trying to be helpfull and not just throwing answers like this has been discussed a million times lol.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by g9s5r
Thanks for all the help. First question on this site and im real happy to see some people actually trying to be helpfull and not just throwing answers like this has been discussed a million times lol.
I do what I can, this site is helpful when im stuck.. so I try to return the favor.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:56 AM

Ok so I switched the wires opposite of what they were and now they dont light up at all.. My fuse is not blown, When I switch them back the way I had them they light up like running lights but go off when i signal the certain side.
Any one know how I should wire these in?

Old 07-23-2009, 02:58 PM

Maybe your going double positive its really hard to tell I never had any trouble at all. What I do usually if im stuck, turn on the key and the blinker while the blinker is disconnected and find your combo.

Quick Reply: Front signal lights always on itsept for when I click switch.