General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front rotor removal/installation...?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 01:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front rotor removal/installation...?

Hey guys... I got a couple of new rotors comin in the mail for my 2003 CBR 600RR, thanks to 04CBR600RR. Now, I just gotta figure out the easiest way to get my old ones off, and the new ones on... I have some brake cleaner and plan on tidying up the new rotors when they get here before I install them. Any hints/tips/tricks for me? It doesnt look like it should be tooo difficult, but you guys got a good way to do it? I dont have a front stand as of yet, so Im going to have to jerry rig some jackstands to make it work for this time... got any other ideas for that?

thanks for any help guys, youve always been awesome at giving excellent info,

Chris

Old 03-31-2006, 06:22 AM
Default RE: Front rotor removal/installation...?

It`s easiest with the wheel off, just lay the wheel on its side and undo the bolts then remove the old Rotor. Re-install your new ones and loctite the bolts. then flip the wheel over and do it again for the other side. I havn`t come across any time saving tips yet.

Old 03-31-2006, 08:03 PM

Thanks a lot anubis... which loctite do you use on these? red? or blue? or the rainbow ones... mang

Old 03-31-2006, 08:52 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Red loctite. Lay something soft on the ground to keep from scratching rims. If you have an old tire laying around they make the perfect work surface.

And if the 600RR is like the 1000RR with six 6mm bolts and directions say torque to 14ft/lbs .... don't do it!!!! 8ft/lbs is plenty tight. 14 will pop the head right off the bolt. And trust me, it ain't a fun time drilling those ****'s back out[:@]

Old 04-01-2006, 01:06 AM

lol chain... i remember you posting that :P

thanks for the posts and tips guys, I appreciate it a lot. always nice to know what your doin (or have an idea t least) before you start the job hahaha

take care of yourselves,

Chris

Old 04-01-2006, 04:20 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd use blue loctite, not red. The red stuff is made to NOT be removed with hand tools, needs impact, and you don't need anything that strong for those little bolts. Blue stuff will work just fine and you'll be able to get them off again for the next time.

Anyways, I don't have a jackstand for mine either, so I just use 2 scissor jacks from my car and my roomates car (we have identical cars so identical jacks), put one under each fork tube and raise them up evenly. Oh yea the back is already up on the rear stand to help hold it level. Raised it up just enough to get the front wheel off the ground, take the calipers off (2 12mm on each side), pop the axle out and let the wheel just sit on the ground, don't need to take it all the way out (though it definitely doesn't hurt anything, but doing it this way it's hard to get the wheel all the way out). Once all the rotor bolts are out you can just maneuver it around a little bit and slide it right out without taking the wheel completely out. Then just put the new one in, and look at the outside of the rotor there should be a little arrow indicating the rotational direction, so that you know which side is which. Tighten the bolts, put everything back together, and you're good to go! Be sure and torque the axle nut to the proper torque

Old 04-01-2006, 07:36 PM

if you dont have a stand just get a rachet strap. hook one end to a trusse in your garage and the other to the front end. it works just fine

Old 05-07-2009, 07:49 AM

sorry, im a noob and doing this for the first time, can someone list out all the tool/supplies i will need for this?

Thank you