General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front brake increaseing pressure issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 03:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front brake increaseing pressure issue

So my 04 F4i has a dangerous problem. When I first start riding I have OK front brake lever pressure. The more I ride the pressue increases till the pads are rubbing on the rotors to the point of stopping the bike. If I wait the pads cool and release enough for me to get the bike home. When swollen I notice brake fluid pressing past the caliper seals and leaking. i rebuilt the master cylinder, replaced the pads, and replaced the brake fluid and this did not fix the problem. Any ideas?

Old 01-06-2011, 05:36 PM

If there was fluid leaking past the caliper seals, they are blown. Did you replace the caliper seals?

Is it both calipers clamping on the rotors, or just one?

Old 01-07-2011, 08:18 AM

The right caliper was definetly leaking. Should I just replace the right seals and test it or would it be smart to rebuild both?

Anyone know of a good place to order new seal from? only place I have found so far is cheapcycleparts and I am not fond of that company.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:22 PM

Since you'll be bleeding the brakes anyway, do both sides and have the piece of mind your brakes are good to go. A second set of seals for the other side won't cost very much more and you'll already be dirty anyway. Just my $.02

Old 01-08-2011, 03:29 AM

Have you changed levers? Knock-offs sometimes prevent the plunger from allowing the fluid to return and subsequently heats up and applies the brakes. Seen it several times.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:31 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by randyjoy
Have you changed levers? Knock-offs sometimes prevent the plunger from allowing the fluid to return and subsequently heats up and applies the brakes. Seen it several times.
^Good point

I have had it happen on an old water buffalo. It was years ago but as I remember somewhat, I think the pads were in opposite from where they should have been. In other words I think there was an inboard and an out board pad for each caliper.

Are you sure that the pads are fully seated or that the pistons move freely?

Old 01-10-2011, 10:41 AM

Yes I did change the levers a while back after the bike fell over and broke the lever off. Do you have any recomendations for a decent brand lever?

Old 01-10-2011, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by maltxmaster
Yes I did change the levers a while back after the bike fell over and broke the lever off. Do you have any recomendations for a decent brand lever?
If it started right after the lever change, that would be my first guess.

OEM, Pazzo, ASV, CRG.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:10 PM

I think this is it too.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:47 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

Can you explain exactly what you mean by knock offs?

Quick Reply: Front brake increaseing pressure issue