General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fix, sell, or part out 01 f4i

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 06:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fix, sell, or part out 01 f4i

So I was in a situation where a truck was in my lane coming head on in a country road so I took the ditch, then jumped off the bike which then hit a tree. I am all good, my helmet and jacket look god awful though. I trailered the bike back to my house got the BAS zip tied up and to my delight it starts, runs, shifts, stops, and rides just fine. Took it for a quick rip around the subdivision (not over 40mph) no weird noises, the forks are straight, and no wobble when I take my hands off the bars. The only thing I can see right now that I cant just buy and bolt on is the top mounting point for front fairing stay frame bracket which was sheared off. I am still going to take the rest of the plastics off and go
through the bike with a fine tooth comb before I decide to do whatever i'm going to do with it. The bike is a 2001 with 24k miles on it and I bought it for around 2300. My main question for you guys is if it would make more sense to part it out, fix it , or sell it as is to someone who wants to make a stunt bike or parts bike or something and buy another bike. What I know that I am going to need is; new radiator, all new plastics, new front wiring harness, new headlight assembly, new front fairing frame bracket, new airbox(s), and a 30 pack of beer for the TIG guy to weld the mounting point back on. There is probably more stuff like brackets and misc hardware too but im just getting into it. Any input to minimize loss at this point is appreciated.

Carnage below

https://ibb.co/ij0Ayk
https://ibb.co/grGHdk
https://ibb.co/cyqFW5
https://ibb.co/hgt8jQ

Old 09-19-2017, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First of all I would try and price up all off the parts you are going to need, weigh that off against the price of the bike and the time your going to take to repair it and what it would be if you sold it

Old 09-23-2017, 08:07 PM

I would make it into a street fighter and keep riding.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CaBaRet
First of all I would try and price up all off the parts you are going to need, weigh that off against the price of the bike and the time your going to take to repair it and what it would be if you sold it
This^
An Excel spreadsheet I find a handy tool to assist with the task.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:41 PM

Well the total is going to be around $750 so i'm going to spend the money and get it fixed up, i'm itching to get back riding again. Had a buddy try and sell me his gsxr 600 and sell mine to his brother to make a stunt bike but i just didn't like the gsxr.

Old 10-24-2017, 01:42 PM

Got the bike all back together. Wasn't sure how the red tank cover would look on a white tank i'm not thrilled with it, but i don't think its too bad a this is just my commuter bike that I pile miles on. Dealing with auctmarts kind of a pain, but I finally got all the plastics. Time to clean up the garage and get back on 2 wheels.

Old 10-24-2017, 03:36 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That looks pretty tidy.

Old 10-24-2017, 05:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good that you kept it. I didn't know you get colour matching plastic tank covers.What was the total bill? Did you do it all yourself or got it done at a garage?Ride safe mate.

Old 10-24-2017, 06:52 PM

Did all the work myself got all the replacement plastics, windshield, hardware kit and tank cover from auctmarts for about $450. The total cost for everything including the plastics was about $700.00.

Old 10-25-2017, 02:32 AM

If you don't like the tank cover, find a paint shop near you that can color match the red and put it into a rattle can and repaint the tank yourself, then find a decal/vinyl shop if you want the graphics as well. Doing it this way you won't spend any more than $100 and you'll get rid of the crappy tank cover

Quick Reply: Fix, sell, or part out 01 f4i