General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Bike Purchase! Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 11:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Bike Purchase! Opinions?

Hey guys, I'm gearing up to get a cheapo 250 with some cosmetic damage to learn how to ride on (and to get me around town while I finish the semester). I've looked into the gear and I've found some good stuff locally, and I've been watching craigslist like a hawk for a lowsided bike to pick up. I found this one just now, and I see the following things mentioned:
  • possible starter/spark plug/fuel filter service overdue (multiple tries to start)
  • L&R fairing damage
  • FL turn signal
  • L footrest damage
  • exhaust dings
  • scratched handlebars
  • instrument cluster illumination broken
I'm mechanically inclined and very much interested in taking care of whatever bike I end up picking up. My intention is to pick a damaged bike up for a good price, get used/ebay/forum body parts to fix it this Winter, service everything it could possibly need, and then sell it (hopefully for a good amount more than I paid) in the middle of Spring. But I'm new to bikes and I have no idea how to price these parts (or where to get good used parts for cheap), nor any common issues on these bikes to look out for. Do you guys see any red flags? Any new rider tips?

Thanks everyone in advance, looking forward to tearing up the canyons around AZ (probably way more fun than my R53).

Happy motoring!

Old 11-10-2017, 10:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems ok to me. I wouldnt start it again until all the old gas was sucked out and replaced with fresh new gas. Also, if the damaged parts are still usable, I wouldnt replace them just yet unless there was a safety issue. You're new to bikes, you're gonna drop it yourself. Aint no use in replacing the present damage and then you damage it again. You're gonna have a tough time getting more than your money back later on down the road. Thats just the reality of it, especially if you fix it now and then drop it yourself. Make it safe, make it reliable, and ride the **** out of it. With minimum $$$$ in it you might be able to get some of your money back.

Old 11-10-2017, 03:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's probably one of the most reliable singles out there.It looks in decent shape.
For now you probably just want the indicator and the instrument cluster replaced. Obviously you want to read the numbers at night don't you?

Old 11-10-2017, 10:20 PM
Default Is that was long as it rides good and it's fun it's perfect first bike

Everybody dumpster first bike that's why you should always buy a bike that runs good and is fun but it's been wrecked once or twice for your first bike hell I still riding a bike I got off Craigslist for a thousand bucks as well erect CBR 600 and I love it to death

Old 11-11-2017, 05:30 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The bike likely needs a new spark plug, it sometimes takes multiple tries to start
If all it needs is a spark plug what didn’t he replace it!

Old 11-11-2017, 09:13 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunk
If all it needs is a spark plug what didn’t he replace it!
That's what id be afraid of, if it was an easy fix most ppl would have fixed it n sold it for more. It could be something easy or something ****ed up and you would have no way of knowing until you bought it and opened her up

Seconding everyone on not fixing cosmetic damage just yet.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:17 AM

Common bull**** I regularly see in private adverts is “just needs the carbs cleaning”

Old 11-12-2017, 10:33 PM

The other bike sold. So I'm back to scouring craigslist.

Originally Posted by Gunk
Common bull**** I regularly see in private adverts is “just needs the carbs cleaning”
Hm, is this bike one of those "common bull****" situations? Looks to me upon first impression like he cleaned the carbs and then still had fuel issues. I'm comfortable mechanically, so I can let the bike sit as I fix it, as long as I have a text/video resource to learn the procedure from the first time around. But my intuition tells me a 600 is not a good bike to learn how to ride on. On the other hand, it's from the year I was born, a CBR, and in my price range...I'm torn. Any red flags here?

Old 11-13-2017, 01:26 AM

Run a mile!

it will cost you more to get that running than buying a straightforward clean, running bike.

CBR600F would be an ideal first bike, easy going, not too quick and nicely balanced.

Old 11-13-2017, 12:25 PM

Understood. I'll keep my eye out for F4's in my price range!! In the meantime, I got a few responses from this weekend.

The owner of this bike said he would take $600. What should I look out for, other than bent frame, worn consumables, and blown shocks, rattling timing chain?

Alternatively, this bike seems like it could be of good resale value. I know that first years tend to be less reliable, but what likely be needed before starting it up for the first time? Carb cleaning, fuel system disassembly, fluids?

Sorry to bombard you guys with this stuff, I just don't know the common problems on these bikes too well yet.

Quick Reply: First Bike Purchase! Opinions?