General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Bike HELP - F4I Turn Signals Works, But Only 5 Volts to Headlight

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 07:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Bike HELP - F4I Turn Signals Works, But Only 5 Volts to Headlight

I'm a 21 yo college student and always wanted a motorcycle but could never afford one. Luckily A great friend of mine gave me his 2002 F4i for free, but the catch was the whole thing is in pieces and the motor is fried. So I spent the last few weeks gathering parts and even got whole new engine off eBay. This weekend I spent hours putting the bike together.

I followed the service manual through out the project and was at the point when the bike was mostly together, just missing fairings, seat, voltage rectifer, and map sensor. I just wanted to get to the point for a test fire to see if it runs. So I got all the oils, coolant, and gasoline in the bike, turned the key, dash powered on but didn't do anything when I pressed the starter. The kill switch was off and the kickstand was down.

Further investigating we also noticed the fuel pump didn't cycle, headlights weren't on, and throttle valves didn't automatically open when turning on the bike.

I'm assuming all these problems were from the headlights not turning on so that's the path of attack I'm taking right now.

Here's what I know: Battery is charged running 12v to the volt meter. All the fuses have been checked and are good. The ignition solenoid also reads 12 volts but I don't hear a click when the bike is turned on or when pressing the ignition. Engine is grounded. The front and rear turn signals work. I Bypassed the break angle sensor and saw no changes. I'm getting 12 volts into the starter switch.

Here is what I find odd:
I connect the volt meter to the corresponding low headlight wires in the grey wire connector out of the harness and it reads 5 volts. Does anyone know why this is happening?

Obviously there is a lot of information online why CBR bikes don't start in relation to headlight issues, but I couldn't find anyone with the same issues as me but with their turn signals still working.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you tested your Fuel cut-off relay and your Engine stop relay, also is the 20amp PGM-fi fuse intact, and Red/White wire OK to the Engine stop relay from the solenoid