General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fireblade radiator smoking

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 10:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fireblade radiator smoking

Hello

I'm a bit worried; just pulled in from work and my fireblade's radiator started steaming for no reason, it's a 2007 model. I looked at the engine and it was well under 90 deg Celsius. When I put my head to the ground, I can see the white smoke or steam or whatever coming out the bottom of the radiator. I haven't changed fluids recently although I did have a service about 3 months back, and when I see the fluid tank in the fairing panel on the ride side just next to and above the front fork (is that the coolant container?) there's still plenty of fluid there. I'm worried to switch it on to go to the Honda dealer because that's quite a way out. What are the potential issues?

Old 01-23-2012, 11:02 AM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was it raining or did you ride in the rain last time you rode?

Mine does that when driving in the rain but when it is dry it is fine.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:08 AM

Yeah, I was in the rain, and it stood out in the rain for 10 min while I was in the shops, but I've been in the rain before and it's never done that.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:03 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

pressure check the cooling system. sounds like the radiator may be leaking. better to find out now, then when it completely blows. if its not leaking, then you will have piece of mind that the system is secure and can continue looking for the problem.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Cynical Grinch
Yeah, I was in the rain, and it stood out in the rain for 10 min while I was in the shops, but I've been in the rain before and it's never done that.
Mine did that at the end of the first year.

I had rode in the rain lots and never noticed, I stopped because I thought something was on fire. But it was just more or less the oil from the road being thrown onto my headers and then smoking up from what I thought was my rad.

Ride it again when it is dry and if it doesn't do it that is most likely what it is, If it does still do that then look else where.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:37 PM

Thanks guys. 74demon - how would I pressure check the cooling system?

Old 01-23-2012, 01:46 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

either let it idle and build up pressure and look around, or find an auto mechanic that has the tool, or will look at it at the shop. the filler is the same as some cars. i have one in southern california.... doubt thats much help

Old 01-23-2012, 04:30 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 to demon
If it's not rain/water steaming off, then you may have taken a rock/debris that's
pin-holed you. Any radiator shop can test it for you. You can wait for a dry day
and take it for a run and look at it then. Just be sure to double-check your coolant level, before hand. If you still see steam, than it's a leak.

Ern

Old 01-23-2012, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Cynical Grinch
Thanks guys. 74demon - how would I pressure check the cooling system?
Burning coolant will also have a very distinct smell.

I'm almost certain it is exactly what I mentioned though, You will be able to tell next time you have a dry ride.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:57 AM

Had a dry-run this morning after letting the bike warm up for a few minutes. The temperature was fine and there was no steam but there was still a weird smell coming from the radiator after I killed the engine. Not sure if it's always been there or if it's new because I've never stuck my nose down there.

Quick Reply: Fireblade radiator smoking