General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fender Eliminator Kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 01:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fender Eliminator Kit

Can anyone give me info on how/where to buy a "Larry's fender eliminator kit" for an '06 600rr? Before I build my own, I've searched high & low all over the net and this seems to be the cheapest and cleanest kit that requires no alteration to the bike (i.e.- drilling into the battery box). I really want the Competition Werkes kit but don't want to fork over $140 for a little piece of sheet metal. And, as far as I know, the CW kit requires you to drill the battery box as well.

Also...anyone have some advice on where to put the stupid inspection sticker (IS)? On this forum and others, I can't get a concrete answer as to where you can legally put the IS. I'm in Texas, and even the d@mn Dpt. of Transportation website is extremely vague. Does anyone know if you can put the IS directly to the side of the license plate or on another part of the bike such as the swing arm...in the state of Texas?

Old 11-05-2006, 01:37 AM
Default RE: Fender Eliminator Kit

What you can do is go to home depot and get the metal worm gear clamp, a small hinge, and a piece of sheet metal. You can take the rear fairing off, and the stock assembly off. Then, you can take the worm clamp and put it around the exhaust pipe, then attatch the hinge to the sheet metal and the other side of the hinge to the worm gear clamp. then put your license plate on by drilling two holes in the sheet metal to line up with the holes on the plate, and attach wth bolts.That way, it looks like it is attached to exhaust, but it really isnt.

What do you need a IS sticker for? Is it a state law or something like Cali?

Old 11-05-2006, 01:47 AM

Here is a QUICK diagram. It looks ALOT better on the bike, and its REAL clean. you cant tell anything is on it because the fairing covers it.

Old 11-05-2006, 01:54 AM

Cool...looks just like the "Larry's kit." Do you think the worm gear clamp will scratch the exhaust pretty bad? Also, what about a plate light? I guess I could wire it and secure the wire behing the sheet metal.?

Texas is probably the most uptight state in the country. The IS is a requirement. This state will ticket you if you have a license plate cover on your car that covers up the name of the state. And, you must have a front plate on your car/truck.

Old 11-05-2006, 02:07 AM

I dont think the clamp should scrath it very bad (if its tights). You can always get some heat resistant aluminum tape to put around it first.

As for a plate light, you should be able to do what I did with mine.
1. I took the pre-existing light and wires and cut the bulb and harness off.
2. I took the hinge (it had 3 holes in it) so on the outer 2, I attached with sheet metal to it and the center, I ran an led light through it (fits perfect) (if not, you can drill it to fit)
3. The wiring already has heat protective casing on it, but since is was on the exhaust, i used the heat resistant aluminum tape, ran a few pieces right down the center of the exhaust, and then put the wires, then more tape (like a sandwich).
then I stuck the LED through the hole and a little super glue and done. Just wire the LED into the pre-existing wiring for the already tail light bulb.

**If you dont want to do it down the center, you can run it right with the clamp (looks just as good, blend in better that way). Just playwith it, you can figure something out if you dont like either of those ways. Just takes a little time and imagination. Thats what I did. You can actually pput the wire right on the clamp and just wrap both in the tape too

So is the IS for just the license plate. Like the mounting of it?

I hope this helps !!!

Old 11-05-2006, 05:48 AM

You can also do what I did. The bolts that hold my plates on have lights in them. They are for automotive in nature, but they work great. They are simply named Light 'n' Bolts.

Old 11-05-2006, 01:58 PM

or that too

Old 11-05-2006, 02:12 PM

I've seen the license plate mounting bolts that have built in LED's. The only reason I haven't gone with those yet is b/c the local bike shops want $30+ for a set...which is rediculous. I'll check some more automotive shops and if I have no luck I'll just fool around with it. Thanks for the advice!

The IS in Texas is completely seperate from the license plate. Texas is a "dual inspection state." ...Meaning, in order to drive any vehicle legally, you must have it inspected for 1) safety (i.e.- operating lights, horn, wiring, etc) and 2) emissions. When you pass, they give you a sticker separate from the registration sticker which, for a motorcycle, is about half the size of the plate. So, as you can imagine, its a pain in the @ss when you're moving your plate mount around and already have limited space to work with, and still have another piece to put between the tire, exhaust, and the license plate. I love living in TX, but this state has some of the most ridiculous rules!

Old 11-05-2006, 03:28 PM

Advanced has some for $9.88!! I was there today.

Man, I didnt know they were that stiff about their stuff!! Good luck

Old 11-05-2006, 03:44 PM

I just checked Advanced yesterday and couldn't find anything. You didn't happen to catch the part name/maker/etc did you? And, were they in the license plate section with all the custom stuff to add onto a car?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Fender Eliminator Kit