General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F4i Tacho & speedo inop F4i to F3 gauge swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 04:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F4i Tacho & speedo inop F4i to F3 gauge swap

Hi all
Well I'm back again ! After a year off the bike due to travelling for work I'm back on it & started doing all the jobs I never seemed to get around to !
I've started on the F4i gauges onto a F3 following a few of the tutorials ( thanks everyone who put it up ) I invested in a HTS2000 aliminum welding/repair kit & made a mounting bracket ( I'll post pics when I'm back off my next trip )
I tested the gauges & they all worked fine speedo count down / tach sweep etc - I then redid all the wiring with proper connectors etc & reconnected - went to try it - & none of the digital parts are working - no speedo or temp reading etc - the clock works , illumination & indicators / high beam warning etc.
There's no oil pressure light & the tachometer doesn't work either.
The bike starts ok & batterys fully charged.
Does anyone have any ideas before I start pulling it to bits to check alll the wiring fuses ( It's too dark now & I don't have a garage ! ) The connectors inside the gauges are all fully in.
Many thanks in advance
Peter.

Old 09-19-2008, 01:16 PM
Default RE: F4i Tacho & speedo inop F4i to F3 gauge swap

Ok - so today I checked all the powers earths etc - all ok
Also when comnnecting the gauges up the tach still sweeps round but that's it ( this is via the permanent 12v for the clock - if you disconnect this it does nothing when you connect it.- no LCD parts or tach operation when running.

The clock works ok - I'm thinking possibly there's a seperate little surge protector or something that powers the LCD & Tach normally that ,may have gone.

Someone oh here must have found out how to fix this as it seem like a few people have had this problem

Please help as I leave for the week tomorrow & would at least like to see it working before I go.

Many Thanks

Peter.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:40 AM
Default RE: F4i Tacho & speedo inop F4i to F3 gauge swap

The LCD and tach both should turn on when the ignition switch is on. Do the backlight LED's turn on when you turn on the ignition switch? On the bike side (as opposed to the gauge side) of the connectors, the illumination wire and ignition switch wire are tied together. If you look at page 460 of the F4i service manual you can see this. If your backlight LED's do not turn on (or LCD and tach don't turn on), then you don't have switched power going to the gauges.