General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F4i with 2k miles bogging and running like crap?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 05:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F4i with 2k miles bogging and running like crap?!

Ok so i bought my 01 F4i a month ago and ran fine. It only has 2700 miles. It started to bog a lot in first gear and low rpms of other gears. Now it is getting worse.

I replaced all spark plugs, oil change, ran a few tanks of fuel injector cleaner and still nothin? I have also put in the manual cam chain tensioner.

Symptoms:

-bogs at low rpms(especially first)
-smells like gas and blows out smoke
-runs good in colder weather
-while the motor is hot i have to give it gas to start again

Where do I go from here?
Is it possible that i have jumped a tooth on the timing chain?

Old 08-24-2006, 05:18 PM
Default RE: F4i with 2k miles bogging and running like crap?!

You might want to check the idle control might be set to low, i had the same problem cause my idle wasn't set right.

Old 08-24-2006, 06:01 PM

It sounds to me like your engine isn't getting the air it needs check it out.

Old 08-24-2006, 08:14 PM

Definetly check the air cleaner first... Seems like really low miles for an '01. Good chance it sat around a long time with gas in it. If that is the case then running injector cleaner may not get all the varnish out of there. I think that bike is fuel injected (right?) so there could certainly be some issues there. Did something happen to it? It ran great when you first got it and now it bogs? How long, how many miles before that happened?

Old 08-24-2006, 08:19 PM

I would check the ignition timing with an ordinary timing light. If the timing ain't advancing smoothly, and it probably isn't, don't bother changing anything else.

Old 08-25-2006, 01:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, that sums up all of my issues on my bike as well. does yours run well right when you start riding it, then a few minutes later after it reaches operating temp it begins to bog down?

Old 08-25-2006, 06:43 PM

ORIGINAL: telepathboy

Definetly check the air cleaner first... Seems like really low miles for an '01. Good chance it sat around a long time with gas in it. If that is the case then running injector cleaner may not get all the varnish out of there. I think that bike is fuel injected (right?) so there could certainly be some issues there. Did something happen to it? It ran great when you first got it and now it bogs? How long, how many miles before that happened?

Ok... I have pulled the air cleaner several times and everything looks fine. It did sit around for a while before I bought it says the previous owner. I have ran almost ten tanks since i have bought it so i wouldnt thinnk that varnish would cause it to run worse and worse. And yes it is a fuel injected bike and i belive it would throw a code if it had to do with it as it has a FI engine light. And I have probably put around 300 miles on it before it started bogging.

Old 08-25-2006, 06:48 PM

ORIGINAL: slowpoke

I would check the ignition timing with an ordinary timing light. If the timing ain't advancing smoothly, and it probably isn't, don't bother changing anything else.
Ok so last night i printed out the service manual and took cams out and completly redid the timing as i could have jumped a tooth with the Cam chain tensioner being loose. Turned the bike back on and ran exactly the same??..

Any more ideas??

Old 08-26-2006, 01:20 AM

well a 5 year old bike w/ only 2700 miles means it was sitting for a while.
1. make sure you replaced the fuel
2. check the fuel filter
3. might need some valve synch

Old 08-26-2006, 06:16 PM

Alot of times people will buy guages off Ebay that have alot less miles than the bike they have does. They switch it out and it looks like the bike has a whole lot less miles. You might have been a victim of that on.

Quick Reply: F4i with 2k miles bogging and running like crap?!