General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The EPA going too far?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 05:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The EPA going too far?

Here is an article I just read about the EPA inturpitation. From the looks of it They might make it illegal to do any modifying to any motorvehicle to mean that it is illegal for any person to remove [or alter] any device on an engine involved in that vehicles passage of emissions compliance by the original manufacturer.

Here is a snippit of the article I just read.
According to the Federal Register, Volume 69, No. 10 the EPA interprets the Clean Air Act section 203(a) to mean that it is illegal for any person to remove [or alter] any device on an engine involved in that vehicles passage of emissions compliance by the original manufacturer. Under this interpretation, even a gear ratio change or non-stock rear tire can have an effect on engine operation by changing where it operates in its power band for a given vehicle speed thereby effecting its emissions.

The full article

It is an interesting read, also it might make upset you as it did me. The more people who know about this the better.

Old 02-26-2006, 06:30 AM
Default RE: The EPA going too far?

good article
epa should just ban any vehicule that does not get more than 20mpg

Old 02-26-2006, 10:39 AM

word

Old 02-26-2006, 10:49 AM

the EPA is worth its weight in s h i t !!!

***** won't go after SUV-driving bozos since that'd alienate their vote banks

Old 02-26-2006, 02:35 PM

They need to leave the cars alone, and go after the huge ships and factories. They create more emmision than anything combined. If they tried to enforce that almost every vehicle on the road would be illegal.

Old 02-26-2006, 04:46 PM

thats crap they need to crack down on the big rigs and stuff they polute more than any vehicle with its emissions system removed

Old 02-27-2006, 01:21 AM

After reading the document I have come to the conclusion that the EPA is government business. It really is all about money, this way they have manufactures pay 60k to the EPA and have them certify whatever product they want to sell, as well as charge a fee to have the EPA stamp of approval. For example, (Wild Boar owner Steve Williams said his company was required to submit one complete motorcycle, along with a $60,000 fee, to CARB to gain approval. He considered these requirements extremely cost prohibitive, especially for manufacturers that make only 12 or 15 bikes per year, and stated that the requirements put him out of business. The EPA stated that its testing requirements and fees for the Federal rule are not nearly that onerous, and should not be a hardship for small manufacturers.)
I may be wrong here, but $60,000 is a lot of money. I don't know of any small maufacturer that would consider having to pay 60k consider that a not a hardship. WTF do they think that small manufactures are made of money? Actually the 60k is a pay off, "we will let you stay in business if you line my pockets with gold!"
Don't get me wrong, I think the EPA is necessary for certain things but the motorcycle community is not one of them. They are over stepping their boundaries. What next, you will not be able to paint your bike because it will add weight which might interfere with the emmissions of the engine? Maybe I should just get old Betsy out of the barn and start riding her instead. Untill the EPA makes me license my horse and tell me I can't ride her because she ****s too much, or I could pay them 60k. Just my 2 cents

Old 02-27-2006, 04:12 PM

I dunno...regarding this, I kind of have a defensive opinion.

-I've been facing this a while with the cage. I've got it modded, and I've been pulled over 4 times in the past 2 weeks. It's all legit, so they're just wasting their time. IT's something I know will happen, and something I face EVERY time I pull out of the driveway. Oh well....if ya don't wanna be pulled over, don't mod. It comes with the territory.

-What is your mod makes an IMPROVEMENT? Example again with the cage...I put an aftermarket exhaust on it and hooked it up to a sniffer in NC. It actually read out to be burning cleanere WITH the exhaust than with the stock one. So what then? Are they going to say don't do a mod that promotes clean air?

We don't need to bitch about this....well, yeah...we do. But we also need to mod smarter. Find all the little loop holes and use them to our advantages.

I dunno...I know I'm still a newbie on here, but that's my 2 cents.

Old 02-27-2006, 04:57 PM
Banned

Add a $50/bbl tax on oil (or $2.00/gal gasoline) and you'll see emissions drop dramatically. You'll also see terrorism drop because a portion of every dollar spent on oil goes straight to some camel jockey that wants to kill me. Make no mistake, this country's thirst for oil is the biggest threat to our security, for that reason alone, the government should do what it can to promote the use of motorcycles.

Old 02-27-2006, 05:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check it...
ships and stuff...they are in international waters...you can't regulate that.
as far as big rigs...yea they pollute, but imagine how much more gas they'd be using when they don't burn diesel.
there are also way more cars then there are big rigs, so the combined pollution effects from cars and other personal vehicles do exceed that of big rigs and the like.

EPA does regulate factories, etc...they have limits which they need to stay below and are carefully monitored.
however, big industries can lobby so hardcore that they will get their way...if very stringent regs are placed on them, they will pass it down to the consumers and we'll be bitching about the cost of this and that...this also goes with the big rigs...they will up their transport fees and it'll all trickle down to the consumer.

i say as long as it has an Air Resources Control Board exeption number, then it should be fine...but if it doesn't then the EPA and the ARB should bust *****...
lucky for us, many aftermarket parts actually make vehicles sniff better!

T