General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine seized after bearing replacement !

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 12:08 AM
Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Unhappy Engine seized after bearing replacement !

hi. last week one of my friends had sent his bike to put new crank bearings and connecting rod bearings. the mechanic had replaced all 18 bearings with new OEM bearings. yesterday he gave us the bike and while we were on our way home the engine died. we tried to start it with self start but didn't work. then we put it to the 3rd gear and tried to push start but every time we tried the rear wheel locked. anyway we took it home using another vehicle.

today morning i tried to crank the engine with my own battery using self start and i could only hear the starter relay clicking but engine was not cranking. battery was good ( 12.9V). then i pulled the starter motor out and checked it. it worked very well so i fixed it back in the engine. then i bypassed the starter relay and gave current directly to the motor yet engine didn't crank. then i put the bike in the top gear and tried to push start it but again the rear wheel locked. then i tried to crank the engine using the crank shaft bolt while bike was in the top gear. that time engine cranked without any issue. but it still can't be cranked using the starter motor or push start. kindly give some advice. thank you.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi cbrbike, you have to take the bike back and have them do the repair, if they have cocked up it's up to them to put it right

Old 06-09-2017, 01:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

srry had to giggle a lil tyvm..
yup give back as your bearings are cooked and locked maybe even fried the crank. so sry....
I'd guess here.. He left too big a gap on rod-bearings after wear and there was no oil pressure frying the bearings.. may have to turn crank due to scarring. might get lucky and can buff it smooth. usually they lockup after bcool down or tear themselves to pieces. so lucky there.
but since locked running the bearings fried the crank which crimped a bearing or 12 and locked up.
this is most likely as it coulda been a piston lock or a valve shot into engine and jammed the tranny locked or if.... but as the bearings were just done.. glad you did doublecheck all those peripheries. should always do due diligence. but... your mech made a common Dealer shop error. Sometimes and for somethings going to that shop where 'some guy' hung a shingle and has those broken pieces of crap out front is worth a visit as usually all those old broken down bikes all run like a top. Just don't confuse him when you want to lay out some new maps for your EFI. NOS and maybe turbos
Most dealers have a rule nothing over 10yrs not because they don't like them just the major jobs that aren't tune-ups and general service duties, so the mechs if ever knew it are out of practice on 'involved' work, anytime you need to open an engine or disassemble.
still guessing.. your 50kmile bike has stock sized bearings put in it(on workorder) as the mech ordered parts rather than measure.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by CaBaRet
Hi cbrbike, you have to take the bike back and have them do the repair, if they have cocked up it's up to them to put it right
thank you

Originally Posted by JohnnyRocket
srry had to giggle a lil tyvm..
yup give back as your bearings are cooked and locked maybe even fried the crank. so sry....
I'd guess here.. He left too big a gap on rod-bearings after wear and there was no oil pressure frying the bearings.. may have to turn crank due to scarring. might get lucky and can buff it smooth. usually they lockup after bcool down or tear themselves to pieces. so lucky there.
but since locked running the bearings fried the crank which crimped a bearing or 12 and locked up.
this is most likely as it coulda been a piston lock or a valve shot into engine and jammed the tranny locked or if.... but as the bearings were just done.. glad you did doublecheck all those peripheries. should always do due diligence. but... your mech made a common Dealer shop error. Sometimes and for somethings going to that shop where 'some guy' hung a shingle and has those broken pieces of crap out front is worth a visit as usually all those old broken down bikes all run like a top. Just don't confuse him when you want to lay out some new maps for your EFI. NOS and maybe turbos
Most dealers have a rule nothing over 10yrs not because they don't like them just the major jobs that aren't tune-ups and general service duties, so the mechs if ever knew it are out of practice on 'involved' work, anytime you need to open an engine or disassemble.
still guessing.. your 50kmile bike has stock sized bearings put in it(on workorder) as the mech ordered parts rather than measure.
thank you very much for your explanation i got it

Old 06-20-2017, 02:51 AM

i drained the oil and looked for any metal debris. but didn't find anything. but the oil filter had been severely distorted. we only rode 7km but this has happened. just wondering the cause. please give some advice. thank you.

Last edited by cbrbike; 06-20-2017 at 02:53 AM.
Old 04-04-2022, 10:46 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I see no rust which is the feared foe of direction. They used to pack those in something like cosmoline so the ***** are presumably gummy'd up from every one of the years.

192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1