General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine scratching noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 05:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine scratching noise

got a 96 cbr f3 enverything runs fine except i noticed if u put ur ear right up to the engine i can hear what seams like a scratching noise, u can only hear if if ur right next to the motor, an i can hear it more on the right side then the left. if u were sitting on it, the right side, i just changed oil an idk, it does have 30,000 miles if that has anything to do with it

Old 10-26-2010, 07:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be the sound of the cam chain your hearing. Not saying it's worn or anything, as a worn CCT is a rattle & you can hear it without putting your ear to the motor (Think ball bearing in a tin can). A lot of people are startled when they 1st notice the sound of the clutch basket (left side) & on an F3 is normal.
If the noise gets louder, worry about it then, in line 4's a noisy buggers at the best of times.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:54 AM

If the noise starts getting annoying and goes away at higher rpms (say 5-6k from personal experience) then its a bad CCT. As stated above on left side clutch noise is normal. I have it on my F3 as do others on this forum....no biggie. for piece of mind you can replace the CCT easily yourself with some allen wrenches and a couple sockets. (remove fairings, clutch cable mount thing, and one engine mount) $50 for piece of mind if you plan on keeping the bike for a while. Look at the stickies in the F3 forum for some bonding time with the bike and the CCT

Old 10-27-2010, 06:23 AM

the noise isnt really that loud, i cant here it at all when riding only when i put my head real close to the motor, it seems to be comming from the head

Old 10-27-2010, 06:33 AM

ok so when i bought the bike which was last week i asked the previous owner how much oil i need cause i wanted to do an oil change, he said 3.2q.....so thats what i did now im reading that i needed anywhere from 3.7 to 4.4q, cause this have something to do with the noise

Old 10-27-2010, 06:33 AM

A lot of people are startled when they 1st notice the sound of the clutch basket (left side) & on an F3 is normal.
I would lean towards this as well. To check, start the bike and leave it in neutral. listen closely to the bike as you pull in the clutch and release the clutch. If the noise you are hearing goes away with the clutch pulled in, its more than likely the common noisy F3 clutch basket.

30,000 miles is not very many miles, but it does bring up the question about maintainance. There are several things that should have been inspected by now, and if you don't know the history of the bike, you may want to consider those inspections.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:28 AM

Wat kinda things should be checked out....an ima try wat u said an see if noise is still tbere

Old 10-27-2010, 09:04 AM

Wat kinda things should be checked out
Im not sure on the intervals for checking, but the valves should have been check once, maybe twice by now. The carb sync should have been checked as well. But, these are mearly checks, not neccessarily adjustments that have to be made. The majority of the time, the valves and carb sync are within spec and do not need any service, but they should at least be checked. Also, fluids should have been changed by now as well.

Since the bike is new to you, there are several things you will want to check or replace to make sure your bike is safe and reliable. I gather you already changed the oil, but the coolant and brake fluids should also be changed just so you know they are good. You could buy some test strips to make sure the coolant and brake fluid are ok, but I would just replace it so you know where your at. Also, the chain and sprockets should be inspected. A properly maintained chain and sprocket set will usually last around 20,000 miles. The less they are maintained, the less miles you will get. Also, a brake pad inspection is in order as well. And, your tires, if the tread looks ok, check close to make sure you don't have any dry rot or cracking.

Aside from that, you should keep good maintainance on your chain. It should be lubed every 500 miles or so. I also clean my chain every other oiling, so around 1,000 miles or so, I clean the chain with kerosene, then lube it. I ride in relatively clean conditions, and depending on your conditions, may warrant more often cleaning and lubing. You should also check the tension often. I usually check mine everytime I ride it. It doen'st take long, a simple lift and pull on the chain will tell you where your at with tension.

If you are not that familiar with bikes, I would strongly.....strongly suggest getting a service manual for the bike. Not just the owners manual, but a service manual. It will go in depth on how to properly make adjustments and repairs.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:44 AM

Thank u very much for the info

Old 10-27-2010, 11:11 AM

Any chance u know how oil a 96 cbr f3 takes

Quick Reply: engine scratching noise