CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-tech-9/)
-   -   Engine braking (https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-tech-9/engine-braking-32003/)

LlanoSV 02-24-2007 04:27 AM

Engine braking

I've come across this product and what thinking that this ia a pretty cool idea.
The brake light goes on when you let off the throttle.
http://www.motoloco.com/DeCelLight3-28-03.htm

Was wondering if anyone has this, and how well is it.

knightslugger 02-24-2007 12:51 PM

RE: Engine braking

i don't have it, but i think it's kind of a dumb one to have. JMO

LlanoSV 02-24-2007 03:37 PM

Really? why's that?
It's a safety thing. How often do you use engine braking to slow down compared to using the brakes.

TK954RR 02-24-2007 06:09 PM

While i dont have one, and probably would not buy one either, it is a good idea and a nice extra piece of mind for your safety.

Triax 02-24-2007 06:43 PM

ORIGINAL: LlanoSV

Really? why's that?
It's a safety thing. How often do you use engine braking to slow down compared to using the brakes.
So is placing a giant orange flag on the back of your bike but i'm pretty sure no one here does that.

13brsxsrr 02-24-2007 07:57 PM

Really? why's that?
I think if you ride solo than that's all you but if ride with others and your leading it can get annoying, distracting, and send your crew the wrong message.
We use our brake lights to communicate with each other too.

shraz 02-24-2007 09:38 PM

just bleep the throttle
works like engine braking but u actually use ur brakes

woodyracing 02-25-2007 02:25 AM

I wouldn't do it myself, it can be very confusing to people behind you
say your on a busyhighway and just want to slow down a little bit so you let off the throttle, some old lady behind you sees brakelights and panics, bad things can happen
plus why would you be using engine braking if your not even touching the brake enough for the brake lights to come on? it doesn't take hardly any pressure

knightslugger 02-25-2007 02:42 AM

Really? why's that?
almost never really... i use the engine in conjunction with the brakes. i feel it would confuse other drivers into thinking you are applying your brakes when you just are rolling off throttle.

dumb. they have two eyes, they can judge distance just fine.

LlanoSV 02-25-2007 04:48 AM

ORIGINAL: shraz

just bleep the throttle
works like engine braking but u actually use ur brakes
how is bleeping the throttle like braking?

ORIGINAL: woodyracing

plus why would you be using engine braking if your not even touching the brake enough for the brake lights to come on?
What?! Makes no sense

This was just a product that seems to be helpful when doing city riding, like coming to stop signs and red lights.

Joe Rocket 02-25-2007 04:37 PM

Why not actually use your brake when comming to a red light or a stop sign? I don't know about everyone else but when I have a stop comming up I pull in my clutch and use the brake for what it was made for. Sure I use the engine to slow me down sometimes but not when comming to a complete stop.

dscort 02-25-2007 05:14 PM

hasnt anyone followed a city bus. they have amber lites by the 3rd brake lite that blink when they let off the throttle. im not agreeing to hook them up to the brake lites but another set of lites would work quite well.

knightslugger 02-25-2007 10:42 PM

we don't have city buses around here. guess i wouldn't know about them having lights.

when coming to a stop light/sign i brake and downshift at the same time. it's good practice of other things.

woodyracing 02-26-2007 01:26 AM

ORIGINAL: woodyracing

plus why would you be using engine braking if your not even touching the brake enough for the brake lights to come on?
What?! Makes no sense

This was just a product that seems to be helpful when doing city riding, like coming to stop signs and red lights.
my point was that if your coming to a stop, why would you NOT be touching your front brake at all? that doesn't make any sense
and if your city riding, you SHOULD be covering your front brake anyway and as I said it takes almost no pressure to activate the brake light switch

ceeber6 05-12-2007 10:04 AM

While your at it you could get some red LED's put on the back of the back and reverse the circuitry for this brake light system and show people how much throttle your using? lol

If it was agood safety feature it would be on bikes now on the road, BSB, WSB and any other significant race series for bikes. Save your money and if you want the brake light to come on when yo let the throttle off, tap the back brake. It'll save time, hassle, money and about four grams in weight. haha

I do hope this is taken with the tongue it cheek with which it was written.