General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno for the 600RR

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 03:24 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Dyno for the 600RR

Just can't let it die can ya? So as your torque is increasing with the gearing change what do you think is happening to the rpms? Well? I've witnessed dyno runs with different gearing and the POWER doesn't change. Yes, the torque curve will change in relation to rpms -- you cannot add HP by changing gearing. If you can do that then you've proven that conservation of energy theory wrong. I've never contended that changing the gearing won't yield you low end torque -- it does. Merely that it doesn't affect HP. Oh, the back to back runs with different sprockets weren't to prove or disprove any theorys -- just 1/4 tests.

I'm wondering if you've even ever put your bike on a dyno???? If you had then you'd know that the "sweet" gear for HP is 5th. There's a lot more torque in 1st but the best HP numbers almost always come from 5th. Seems like the bike would have 200hp in 1st and like 50hp in 6th according to your twisted logic.

So until you add some dyno experience to your physics degrees stop spouting what you really don't know for facts. I may just be a lowly moderator but I have wads of dyno experience.

Damn, wish I'd contacted you before I built my last turbo bike -- I coulda just went big on the back and made 1000hp while all those "unknowing" mechanics have to do extra engine work.

And ya didn't even wish me a Merry Christmas back -- what a bitter old man you are

Old 12-25-2005, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ha.......and what do you think a dyno measures from? Certainly not just the motor which is the control volume you're claiming. The dyno runs that youre worlds best at, are taking from a spot outside the controled area you're talking of. YES POWER DOES CHANGE. The dyno may not pick it up but it does change. Dyno's dont notice every little thing, such as your extra large ego that makes you seem to believe you can rewrite Newton's laws of physics. Surely you're not one of the guys that thinks peak horsepower is important and regardless of if the torque and hp increases at lower rpms, its not different because the peak is still the same??????? Thats ludicrious. If you'd relieve the pressure in your big head and read what i actually wrote, you'd see that i said FOR ANY GIVEN RPM (That means RPM is a constant) torque increases so horsepower MUST, not maybe, not might, it MUST MUST increase. Draw your system out, circle your controlled volume and you'll realize the gearing is OUTSIDE of it. And the dyno also measures OUTSIDE of it. I have a mechanical engineering degree to go along with the physics degree. I'd be happy to scan them and show you.

I'm wondering if you've even ever put your bike on a dyno???? If you had then you'd know that the "sweet" gear for HP is 5th. There's a lot more torque in 1st but the best HP numbers almost always come from 5th. Seems like the bike would have 200hp in 1st and like 50hp in 6th according to your twisted logic

and that doesnt make any sense whatsoever. I'm only dumber for having read that. Think about what a dyno measures, and get back to me when you understand it. Like i said before, i couldnt give a rats rear what a dyno says because in the real world it means very little. Its just all relative on a dyno.

In brief for all of those reading that cant decide.....Lower gear = higher torque at lower rpm... horsepower will go up for any given rpm with an increased torque. Ol stretcher here seems to think think it doesnt. Just look at the dyno curve with different gearing. Your overall hp might not be different, but compare a specific RPM, such as 3000RPM. Betcha your torque will be more which by the equation, P=omega*T where omega is the radial velocity (rpm) and T is torque, means your P (power) must also go up.

Old 12-25-2005, 08:37 PM

Ya know what..... I dont even care. I'm retiring my membership from this forum because of the misleading information that i have seen from a certain person several times. I'm not necessarily talking about this thread either.

Chainstretcher, if you'd listen and try to learn every once in a while, maybe you could change the name to Chainbreaker.

Thanks to all the other guys on the forum.

Don, could you please remove my provile and info from the forum? Thank you.

Old 12-25-2005, 10:08 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

You're bringin me to tears sir --

Old 12-26-2005, 12:19 AM
Retired Administrator

I try to start something nice and see what I do....

clemson725, if you read this.... you're debating with someone that has the same rights as me on this forum.

If you or anyone can prove to me or another moderator that someone is posting misleading information... that will cause harm to the rider or the bike, we'd be happy to remove it. You and chain seem to have, from my point of view, a difference of opinions. Try not to take things so personal. I do not have any experience with dynos and that is why I started this thread. I hate to see you go, but as they say, if you must go... don't go away mad.

Old 12-27-2005, 04:22 PM

WHooooooooooooooooooo, someones mad. Hey is it really worth arguing about, lets all kiss n make up

Old 12-27-2005, 10:43 PM
Retired Mod

wow. im going to overlook all the bickering and give my opinion to the original question at hand. i have zero dyno experience and nothing to add or facts to back up baseless comments about gearing changes and how they affect dyno numbers. but im more into how it feels when riding and don't worry about what numbers are on a paper. so here it goes.

my opinion is that you (doncollins) wants a baseline dyno sheet for comparisons after the modifications that you plan on adding. i would take the bike back to stock gearing and have a go at the dyno. then i would change it back, add all of the other stuff that you want, and dyno it again with everything done. that way you get to see what the sum of all the parts do for performance.

it would be awesome to dyno at each step in the build up, but that is totally unfeasable. if someone has that much expendable income i can point you in the direction of a great charity. the "buy nine2nine a newer bike fund". any and all donations are accepted!

Old 12-27-2005, 11:46 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

Awe c'mon, don't ya want to bicker just a little Bicker, bicker, bicker [8D]

Old 12-28-2005, 12:41 AM
Retired Mod

ORIGINAL: chainstretcher

Awe c'mon, don't ya want to bicker just a little Bicker, bicker, bicker [8D]
dont get me wrong, i absolutely love arguing for the sake of pride but i am way out of my league when it comes to this subject. i only know the affects that i feel while riding. no proof whatsoever when it comes to hard numbers.

oh what the hell. im on your side chain. IMO there is no way that changing your gearing will have any effect on the horsepower or torque that the engine makes. the gearing change does aid in acceleration though. you can rev faster and pick up speed faster. this will give you the feel of more power but there is no way that a gearing change can make your engine perform better. i dont know how the dynos work but if this change makes your hp or tq increase, this is a false reading. my .02 cents worth.

and by the way, im not hating on clemson or anything. i am acually said to see him go. i really enjoy seeing a fixed up unique original fireblade. i was honestly going to nominate his bike for the next rotm.

Old 12-28-2005, 05:59 AM

Hey chain isn`t yours the quote that says `arguing on an internet forum is like shopping naked, your ***** are on show to the world`

Or something,

Quick Reply: Dyno for the 600RR