General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drywall over bodywork

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 03:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Drywall over bodywork

I'm planning an aestetic change and dred all the sanding work I will need to do to get the results I want. Then as I read online I hear about using a drywall type of spackle and wonder if this could work on my plastics. What do you guys think?

Old 07-29-2008, 03:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Drywall over bodywork

I'm not sure what modifications you are looking at, but I don't think drywall spackle is your answer. I can't imagine it will hold up to actually using your bike. Driving it, washing it..ect. I'm sure it will crack and fall out. Not to mention its made for adhering to drywall.... not flexible plastics.

A little tip for using bondo... If you sand it before it gets fully cured, it sands really easy. Once its cured fully, it sands really hard.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:15 AM

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...gl7V91QLRJ7Fbl

Here's what your looking for. It sets up fast and sands real nice. Just go down to your local (industrial) auto parts store (not auto zone, more 1ike automotive supply). Once you get it, just follow the directions and you'll be very impressed

Old 07-30-2008, 07:24 AM

Hmm mmm...there's a reason why people substitute toothpaste in place of spackle for wall holes. Trim and wall spackle will not adhere nor cover dick on plastics. Small chips and gouges, a little Elmer's wood filler does a nice job and is paintable, but won't stretch much.

+1 on sanding/forming bondo a little before it's hardened...right when it starts to go off...saves a lot of sanding dust.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:11 AM

So that 3M stuff can also be used to bond cracks, etc???
Previously, I used Permatex Permapoxy and wasn't too impressed with it's holding power nor sandability. I read a thread last night on a Kaw board about some 3M products and thought they may work. This was one that turned up in my search. I think I'll go tonight to the auto store.

What do I tell them the OEM material is?

Old 07-30-2008, 10:41 AM

Doesn't work the greatest for cracks, for that I used a Plexus industrial epoxy. I got it from work and can't find it anywhere on the net to show it. It's a more rigid style two part expxy that also cures real fast and is sandable. I used that on the cracks, and then touched up the work with the 3M stuff.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:43 AM

So what would you recommend that I could get for Cracks? Stick with the Permatex stuff?

Old 07-30-2008, 10:49 AM

How did you prep the crack? That makes a huge diffrence. I valley both sides of the crack with the dremel and then go over the affected area with 80 grit dremel drum and then epoxy the crack, overkill on the back side.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:07 PM

i just got a rotary tool, so I will be doing more pre-crack prep work. Can I say that????

Or is it pre-prep crack work? LOL

Old 07-31-2008, 03:14 PM

i think permatex makes its...its called plastic weld, it has worked great for me. i smear some in the crack and put it on heavier on the backside...sanded on it and its holding great

Quick Reply: Drywall over bodywork