General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

driver errer..or problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 12:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default driver errer..or problem?

ok im a new rider, just got my bike running thx to you guys, took it out for a spin, after gettin use to shiftin into gears *still hittin gears alil hard* i was crusin at ab 6-7 grand rpm's doin 60ish in third..i believe and it suddenly started luggin..tryed givin alil gas...lugged more..pulled clutch to attempt down shift and it dies...coasted to a stop..and hadda full choke and give a hair of gas just to get it to fire up..did i flud it b.c. of high rpms? or is this sumthin i should worry ab? i bought carb cleaner for it...and my buddies can drive it with no prob...guess they have no die out issues?

Old 04-27-2010, 06:12 AM

without knowing the particulars of the bike, My best guess is that you are running out of fuel, not flooding it. Your rpms are kind of high for extended riding, but it shouldn't matter, the bike shouldn't die out. Your bike can probably keep up with the demand at lower rpms, which is probably why your friends don't have an issue with it, Im sure they're running lower rpms. But once the engine is running high for an extended period of time, the fuel supply can't keep up. I doubt its a dirty carb issue, more than likely your carbs float bowls are emptying out.

Things I would check would be make sure the fuel pump is working. Make sure your fuel filter(if it has one), is not plugged. Make sure the petcock is flowing gas properly, and maybe even pull the petcock off and make sure the screen is clear. another thing to consider is, if the fuel lines are old, they can sometimes swell on the inside and slow the fuel rate. Also, they can delaminate and block the flow of fuel. One more thing to check, especially if you've had the tank off, is to make sure you don't have any kinked fuel lines. Pay close attention as you set the tank back down as to make sure the fuel lines are good.

But its all just a guess.. As I said though, your bike should be able to run higher rpms all day long without any issues, so its not you, theres something wrong. However, I'd suggest keeping them around 5 or less if you can. If your running faster mph and in 6th gear, nothing you can do about it, but if your in 3rd gear at 7,000 rpms, you really should shift for long periods of riding.

Last edited by justasquid; 04-27-2010 at 06:15 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:59 AM

When you say new rider? How new exactly?

Dont take this the wrong way but it sounds like youre a noob to biking. I have starting problems with my F2 when its hot but its due to fuel evaporation apparantly. Nothing that holding the throttle 1/8th on while hitting the starter wont cure.

If your buddies can ride your bike and they dont report problems I doubt your carbs need cleaned.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:24 AM

oh when i say new i mean NEW...never touched standard befor..not a car not a dirt bike...so i guess im as new as it could get...and yes i did have the tank off...no noticable hose swelling..except for ends where they slide over fittings..normal i guess...as for kinked hoses...ill check asap...and im kinda worried ab the wireing on the pump itself...its two connections that are two diff coler im not shure brown n blue with out looking...and i wonder if they are connected right?..i guess so since im able to ride it..and your are right ab it not cutting off at low rpm's...so i will have to see if there is a fuel filter...and oh yes due to a gas cap lockiing issue we did pull the petcock to add gass so screen was clear befor we set it back inside

Old 04-27-2010, 09:35 PM

I find this hard to understand.

If you search you will find a sticky on how to sort that gas cap.

I think you should film this problem with your bike.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:43 AM

gas cape issue solved..buddie with zx6r showed me how he has to unlock his tank..due to ware on lock, and works for mine...bad weather here so not able to take bike out yet...and after i check all hoses..air filters and fuel filters and run carb cleaner through bike and play with wireing to pump...and if problem still exsist ill film a cut off..

Old 04-29-2010, 09:44 AM

Be **** careful with carb cleaner, read the carb cleaning guide here just to be safe.

Good luck.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:33 AM

rgr, went to M&A cycles...got liq. carb cleaner..mixed in with gas...road alot last night...stalled alot..no hose kinks...i can better describ the issue now...at first ride was normal..and sounded fine..then i noticed a slight change in muffler pitch..as if its lugging..then you notice rpm drop slightly..as you try to give it gas it luggs more..and rpms keep going down..untill bike cuts off...this is at any rpms both 3k or above...but it only cuts off after an extender period of driving...ie: i take it down a two mile strech in 6th gear doin 45mph w 3k rpm's...only way to get bike to start bk up is choakin da **** out of it while pumpin the gas..then it will fire and have not a single prob till i run it on another strech...but it hasnt stalled in city?! im guessin bc of the stop n go pattern compaired to the long back country roads or highway...oh and i had my buddie ride it and it does the same for him and he has 3years riding on my 3weeks...

p.s. where do i find gas+air filters..on bike
p.s. what is the wireing on the fuel pump...because there is only two wires and i want to make shure i have the in right...

Old 04-29-2010, 10:44 AM

. . .What kind of bike is it?!

Regardless, I'm 95% certain it's your fuel pump. You're running out of gas only at times when your bike isn't allowing enough time for gas to flow into the carbs on its own (high RPMs for extended periods). Check the fuse for it before you tear the bike apart. Check out Dirt's HowTo for specifics on troubleshooting and repair:

https://cbrforum.com/forum/stickies-91/how-repair-your-f3-fuel-pump-102151/

The fuel filter is under the tank, just in front of the carbs. Looks liek a little syringe. Maybe an inch or two long, very small. The air filter is, well, in your airbox.

Also: you've got 6 gears on that bike, use them. 6-7k is not "crusing." You're just wasting gas.

Last edited by johnnyx; 04-29-2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:56 AM

2000 honda cbr600f4 is the bike..and the "crusing" from older post was just seeing if this was a high rpm issue or a low rpm issue..so i tryed it at 6k rpms..and 6th gear 3k rpms..both same issue...and i agree with you im thinking its fuel pump...i unpluged it just a few secs ago...and it didnt change nething..still idled weird...by that i mean not at 1.5k..more like bobbling on 1k rpms and below...and i switched the wireing..and still same issue..so yeah ima check out that trouble shooting thing now..thx

+ something just pointed out...no primeing sound when i turn the ingition to on....

Last edited by JoLlY rAnChEr; 04-29-2010 at 11:53 AM.

Quick Reply: driver errer..or problem?