General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

down shifting issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 08:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default down shifting issues

When coming to a stop today on my 6 hour ride, the shifter didn't want to go down to first. i was at a dead stop with the clutch in. i had to slam my foot down on it to make it go down. not too good i think. but it wasn't much of a problem too much after that. could this be a freak occurrrence and not worry bout it? or should I when i get my service done this wek at the shop ask them to check the tranny or replace fluids..yadayada yada

Any suggestions?

A side note, I need to have the CCT replaced. it is obnoxious now especailly at like 4-5k rpm. Any diea how much it should cost?

Old 04-22-2007, 09:55 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy
Default RE: down shifting issues

just curious have you dropped your bike recently on your left (shift lever)side ?

Old 04-22-2007, 10:49 PM

or if you let the clutch slip a little to get the gears moving a little so that it could get to 1st...

Old 04-22-2007, 11:49 PM

Do what Knight said. Release clutch a little then pull back in and shift. Sometimes the 'mesh" can miss on a down shift to a stop. Not a big deal unless it happens a lot.

Old 04-22-2007, 11:56 PM

yea usually it helps to be moving a little if ur trying to downshift so maybe like they said move it a little then try it again

Old 04-23-2007, 02:55 AM

It has never been down. I usually start down shifting whuile I am coming to a dead stop at a light or a sign. But for some odd reason at this point I didn't. The rest of the time it was basicallty fine. I guess I am over reacting, but better to be cautious than not at all. Especially because I had a passenger and if something goes wrong with me on it, I could deal, but not with her.

Old 04-23-2007, 02:57 AM

Another question for ya::::

How does the transmission work. Just for my basic knowledge. I know how to work it, but is it much different from that of a cars? Does it have fluid in it and when does it need to be changed...maintenacne stuff I guess!

Old 04-23-2007, 03:57 AM

in bikes the engine oil also lubricates the transmission thats why u cant use certain car oils because they have stuff in them i cant remember what its called but someone else will remember, but u cant really downshift when ur not moving its like changing gears on a moutain bike or something how u cant change the gears and have them mesh without moving a little and a motorcycle transmission is a sequential type of transmission thats why u can upshift with a clutch and stuff like that, read this it kinda explains it http://auto.howstuffworks.com/sequential-gearbox.htm

Old 04-23-2007, 04:28 AM

thanks man

Old 04-23-2007, 05:03 AM

not a problem but i meant upshift "without" a clutch in my last post.

Quick Reply: down shifting issues