General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do your riders complain about rpm's hurting ears?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 03:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do your riders complain about rpm's hurting ears?

My girl starting riding on the back of my bike (usually rides her own). She says that right around 4500 rpm and her ears starts buzzing/hurting. Is that common? Is it the exhaust/something I can fix? Is it just her?

I am never bothered, nor do I notice a difference besides usual increase in engine sound that accompianies rpm shift.

If it matters, its a 98 600 f3 with a slip on yoshimoro exhaust. On there when I purchased, don't know much else about it.

Old 11-01-2009, 03:23 PM

its totally not un heard of to wear ear plugs on long rides. its made a big difference on long freeway rides. cheap fix , my honey has worn them before and said its a more enjoyable ride. peace

Old 11-01-2009, 03:31 PM

my girl as well as i do sometimes i wear my ipod headphones while im riding, i usually can still hear everything else then i ride tho

Old 11-01-2009, 03:38 PM

I had her throw in earplugs, says its not so much 'sound' as the vibration -- *shrugs* she said it didn't help.

Old 11-01-2009, 03:40 PM
Banned

its just her sensitivity at those rpm's

i notice it sometimes when riding closely with someone on the road or on the track.....two bikes that are running real close together can have an exhaust harmonious note thingy happen and that can sometimes make my ears buzz

ear plugs tend to solve many of these problems

Old 11-01-2009, 04:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

get her some ear plugs. I know several riders that wont ride w/o them. They tend to zone me out too much when I wear em tho lol

Old 11-01-2009, 05:52 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ear plugs ~ just like any other piece of protective equipment; I won't ride without them.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:51 AM

yes this do happens but can you tell me why does this happen...what is the reason behind it...

Last edited by aliba; 11-03-2009 at 08:12 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:46 AM
Smile

It has something to do with the frequency of the sound waves and the resonance of the object it is hitting. In other words the sound waves are bouncing off her ear drums at a rate that hurts her head. I would suggest a new helmet, full faced, dark visor, and ride with the visor closed.
If the new helmet doesn't change anything then at least you won't hear her bitching about it with the visor closed.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:49 AM
Talking ear plug or mouth muffler?

Originally Posted by thrasher572
It has something to do with the frequency of the sound waves and the resonance of the object it is hitting. In other words the sound waves are bouncing off her ear drums at a rate that hurts her head. I would suggest a new helmet, full faced, dark visor, and ride with the visor closed.
If the new helmet doesn't change anything then at least you won't hear her bitching about it with the visor closed.
LOL that is funny my friend.. wont hear her bitchin...hehehe

Quick Reply: Do your riders complain about rpm's hurting ears?