General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

did i mess up my motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 11:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default did i mess up my motor

whats up guys. i guess some of you remember me making a post awhile back about having trouble getting my cam chain adjusted right. well i took it to the shop and the guy adjusted my cam chain tensioner but it still doesnt run right. it feels a little rough/buzzy starting at 5k rpms when cruising around. the bike was smooth to begin with. the only thing i can think of is that between all the riding/adjustments that i made to the tensioner it proably ended up creating a tight spot in the cam chain. what do you guys think? i wont lie, during the test rides i did run the bike at mid-range revs (6k plus) a few times. would it cost a lot to have them take the top end of the motor apart and check this?

Old 10-04-2008, 11:45 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM
Default RE: did i mess up my motor

I dont recall sorry. Year, make, model, milage?? Gonna cost yaacouple hundred anyhow i would think, could need a valve adjustment also. If you have more info, lay it on us.

Old 10-05-2008, 01:12 AM

it is a 2000 cbr 600 f4 and it has just slightly over 17k. it had a valve adjustment within the last 3000 miles. i had the tension adjusted before correctly a couple weeks ago but like a idiot i decided to "fine tune" it when it didnt need to be adjusted and now i after riding and multiple adjustments i have this problem. i have did the adjustment with the motor running. you know, back the tensioner bolt out until you start to hear the cam chain noise then tighten a quarter turn and lock the locknut down. it sucks cause just when the bike starts to get into the power band(4-5k rpms) it gets all ****in buzzy. what advice do you guys have for me? i wanna get this bike fixed but i cant ride it like it is. it takes the fun out of riding if its not smoothand you cant use the engine like it was made to be

Old 10-05-2008, 02:30 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you have a balancer shaft on your bike ?
Sometimes the 1000F's buzz around 5000 rpm when the balancer adjustment's out.
Could just be a cam timing problem, though.....Maybe half a tooth out after adjusting the tensioner....?

Old 10-05-2008, 02:55 AM

its gotta be the cam chain cause this didnt happen until i ****ed around and adjusted it for the second time. it didnt help that i rode it up and down the road trying to figure out if it was adjusted right. its not my imagination either, i know how it should perform and feel. ive been riding for over 3 years now and this bike ive had for over 1 1/2 years. its more than just buzziness though cause its a little harder to shift due to the sluggishness of the motor. thanks for the reply

Old 10-10-2008, 12:04 AM

do you guys think that i should just install a honda oem cct (since it auto-adjusts the tension on the cam chain) instead of getting a mechanic to take the top cover off my motor to look at my cam chain?

Old 10-10-2008, 01:34 AM

ORIGINAL: J_Hairston

do you guys think that i should just install a honda oem cct (since it auto-adjusts the tension on the cam chain) instead of getting a mechanic to take the top cover off my motor to look at my cam chain?
Short Answer: Yes
Long Answer: The automatic CCTL rattles yes, but for the most part they are bulletproof. As far as I know, there have been no failures of the CCTL bad enough to cause engine damage. If you are unsure about adjusting it yourself, it's the best way to go. Sure it'll rattle, but it's harmless. Personally the rattle drives me nuts, but I still run with my stock one nonetheless. 23k Miles and still going strong.