General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dewinterizing CBR

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 01:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dewinterizing CBR

First off, I am new to the CBR Forum. I have had a chance to cruise it a little today, and want to say WOW, you are a tight knit group. What you guys did for the guy that was getting his bike Repo'ed was AMAZING!
My name is Ken, I have a 2003 CBR600RR, the factory yellow, with a Corbin seat, Puig windscreen, powdercoated rear swing arm, Quick acceleration kit (520). I absolutely LOVE my bike.
I recently moved to St. Louis from Nashville, TN. In Nashville, I lived in a nice condo with a parking garage and never had to worry about elements or it being too cold. Now that I live in STL I no longer have a parking garage, and have to park my bike on the street and submit it to cold and weather. I stablized the fuel for the winter and its been sitting pretty much that way for 4 months. The weather is starting to get warmer, and I am anxious to take her out for the spring. What things should I check before getting on the bike? Should I be concerned with any of the fluids to replace them, I noticed my new chain has some surface rust on it, and the calipers are rusty too. Anyone have a checklist of things you do before riding?
Also anyone know a good bike cover to protect from the elements?

Old 03-24-2008, 02:24 PM
Registered Users
Default RE: Dewinterizing CBR

Hey Jazz welcome to the forums....yeah everyone here is pretty tight, but we always love new people joining up!

as for things to check, i don't do winterizing because i have a heated garage...but you should definitely clean your chain and check for rust...if it's rusted, i would suggest getting a new one....did you mean rust on your rotors or calipers? if it's your calipers, maybe clean them...

IF it were ME...and i left it out subjected to harsh conditions, i would probably change all my fluids as well....definitely oil change, probably brake, coolant, etc....it's good to give her a once over anyways before riding season...also don't forget to check chain slack and tire pressure (always do that anyways)....

i would just treat it as doing an entire once over...maybe some others can chime in...

either way...welcome to the board!

Old 03-24-2008, 08:29 PM
Default RE: Dewinterizing CBR

Man, that must suck living somewhere where you can't ride for months on end!

No such problems down here in Oz!