General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defective Tire...

Old 09-21-2008, 03:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Defective Tire...

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has had a problem with a rear dunlop tire... My buddy wrecked the other day and he was on a qualifier, and was coming out of a corner and the tire came off the rim... Tire has around a thousand miles on it and tire pressure was good... Just wondering if anyone else has had problems with these...

Thanks Scott

Old 09-21-2008, 03:42 PM
Default RE: Defective Tire...

this sounds like a mounting error to me, since I've NEVER heard of something like this happening. ever.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:29 PM

If it were not mounted right wouldn't there have been a problem with the tire holding air, and or it look funny?... This is the first time I have heard of the tire coming off the rim as well... My buddy is a good rider and gets deep in his corners and def uses all of his tire... I don't know I am just interested in seeing if this has happened to anyone else or like you said maybe a mounting problem, or some other problem that someone may know about... Thanks for the info, anyone else with ideas please let me know...

Thanks Scott

Old 09-22-2008, 05:46 AM

never happened to me either.I agree with hurricanerider,It does sound like a mounting error.the person that mounted the tire may not have used the proper lube to get the tire on.

What did the tire's bead look like? any deformation?

The other possibility is his tire pressure was low and he didnt realize it. I think we all suffer from lack of checking tire pressure. Low tire pressure and a ton of sidewall pressure from cornering will demount a tire in a hurry.

What is his normal tire pressure? I know some people that run really low tire pressure to get more grip. I run mine at 32 front 30 rear. But Ive seen some people dip into the low 20's. Just curious as to where he said his was set at.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:05 AM

Hey guys,

After further examining the tire, my buddy found a nail center tread... That would explain it... Poor kid...

Old 09-22-2008, 06:54 PM

The damned tire must have gone flat right quick and rolled over the rim when he wasin the corner lean... That would be a crappy thing to have happen. Is he alright?

Old 09-23-2008, 09:50 AM

Yeah he is ok, he was lucky he was wearing all of his gear... He entered the turn at around 50mph and was eccelerating through on an exit ramp and he gets deep and has no b-strip, and just as he was about to come up and out is when the tire de-rimmed and his helmet and shoulder were the first thing to hit the pavement. Hes helmet is destroyed, gloves are torn to pieces, and his jacket is ripped up as well with the right shoulder worn almost through the plastic paid... His jeans never ripped but his knees were opened up from the friction of his jeans against his skin.

He went to the hospital but was checked out with minor scratches on his legs... He was really glad that he was wearing all his gear, otherwise he would be a hurting puppy...

He found a tiny finishing nail that was flush with the tire, but stuck about an inch through the back side center tread.