General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Monitor on Tank

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008 | 11:37 PM
Default Custom Monitor on Tank

Does anyone know how to put a custom montior mounted to tank, like for rear view camera system. Ive seen some pretty cool pics of them built into tank but not sure how its done. Is it fiberglassed?

Old 12-05-2008 | 11:46 PM
Default RE: Custom Monitor on Tank

in my personal opinion those belong on show bikes only. im an ex installer of those sorts of things and to tell you the truth they will be pointless on a sunny day and actally be more dangerous than mirrors. cause you have to take your eyes off of the road to look down at your tank. and if its bright out youl be spending time trying to make out what's on the screen insteat of focusing on what's going on in front of you. if you ride everry day don't do it. its really not worth the dangers of taking your eyes off of the roads.

Old 12-06-2008 | 12:15 AM

nope, but if you find something let me know. i want to do that for my gauges when i eventually start on my Street fighter

Old 12-06-2008 | 09:11 AM

I wouldnt be messing with it while driving, especially if I cant make out the screen. It would be for show, I've been building exhaust for yachts for couple years now and pretty good with custom fiberglass work, just figured something cool to do that I could do for almost nothing, except for cost of tv.

Old 12-06-2008 | 10:55 AM

in that case ....if you work with fiberglass then this will be a relatively easy task for you. just make a bezel to mount your screen to out of MDF or something and whatever framework you need to make it sit the way yo want on the tank and then glass it....done deal.

Old 12-06-2008 | 02:44 PM

Any tips on how to blend the fiberglass with the metal tank? Any certain paint or special prep I need to know. If anyone can help that would be great.

Old 12-06-2008 | 06:03 PM

use bondo to feather the glass joint to the tank. sand smooth with 220 grit (wet sand) clean surface, primer, wet sand, clean surface, then spray base coat then clearcoat. you'll probably want to spray the whole tank. it would be easier that way.

Old 12-07-2008 | 08:09 PM

thanks for our help petrorr

Old 01-22-2009 | 05:25 PM

thats muderouss lmao

Old 04-12-2009 | 05:31 PM

dont know if you did this yet or not, but use 3m panelbond to bond the fiberglass to the metal. then use rage gold filler to blend it. it will last forever and not crack off with temperature changes.

Quick Reply: Custom Monitor on Tank