General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coolant question

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 02:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant question

when flushing the radiator, whats the best way to do so? pull radiator and flush it or leave it on and just drain it out?

and is a new thermostat needed when doing a coolant flush?

Old 07-14-2007, 03:02 PM
Default RE: coolant question

i dont think new thermo is needed. but i dont know what is the best way. i would like to know aswell, i will be doing that next oil change.

Old 07-14-2007, 04:01 PM

the way i did it was open the rad cap, pull the drain plug in the water pump. Drained everything out, then pour distilled water in the rad cap till the stuff coming out of the drain hole was clear. Easy stuff.

Old 07-14-2007, 04:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Scrufdog

the way i did it was open the rad cap, pull the drain plug in the water pump. Drained everything out, then pour distilled water in the rad cap till the stuff coming out of the drain hole was clear. Easy stuff.
thats the way i did and then added the engine ice good stuff

Old 07-14-2007, 05:19 PM

i bought the honda 50/50 mix. wheres the drain plug located(general area) and whats the total capacity for the coolant? thanks

Old 07-14-2007, 05:44 PM

I did the same, except after getting clear out of the drain hole, I closed everything and then started and let it warm to operating temp. Then drained again and there was green in it again when I drained it. I repeated and then it was clear. Then filled with distilled water and water wetter.

I think you have to run it and bring to operating temp because there are pockets that don't drain when it just sits and drains. When filling the final time, make sure you open the cap after letting it run a bit to "burp" the system and then add a bit more distilled water.

Not hard to do... just takes a little more time.

Old 07-14-2007, 06:00 PM

good thinking oldfatguy[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 07-14-2007, 06:13 PM

[sm=smiley32.gif] [sm=smiley32.gif]
ORIGINAL: OldFatGuy

I did the same, except after getting clear out of the drain hole, I closed everything and then started and let it warm to operating temp. Then drained again and there was green in it again when I drained it. I repeated and then it was clear. Then filled with distilled water and water wetter.

I think you have to run it and bring to operating temp because there are pockets that don't drain when it just sits and drains. When filling the final time, make sure you open the cap after letting it run a bit to "burp" the system and then add a bit more distilled water.

Not hard to do... just takes a little more time.

Old 07-14-2007, 08:19 PM

sweet deal. do any of the fairings need to come off? if so ill jus get my frame sliders mocked up and cut and leave em off til monday when i can buy more coolant if i dont have enough.
whats the total capacity of the cooling system on f4i's? anyone know.. (02 if that makes a difference)

Old 07-14-2007, 10:29 PM

capacity for my 95 is listed as 0.63 gallons, so just over 2 quarts.

The drain plug is on the water pump. Take off the lower left fairing and look at the water pump. One of the bolts isnt on the "outside" mounting area of the pump. Look closely at this bolt and you'll see the small copper washer that seals it (like an oil drain plug). If you take a look at the microfiche on ronayers.com you'll see it on the water pump diagram.

Quick Reply: coolant question