General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 09:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch issue

Hey all, I had my engine apart this winter because i was changing out my tranny and i have put it all back together and it all works fine, except my clutch is slipping when i give it some gas... i was wondering if this could be because i had cleaned out the clutch basket and all the dirty old oil..... should i ride it for a while and itll go away or is there an issue?? The clutch was fine before and i inspected it when it was out and still had some life to it.... have i assembled something wrong or is this normal?? If normal how many miles am i looking at until the clutch catches properly?

Old 02-21-2011, 10:57 PM

Did you keep all the discs in the same order as taking them all out?

Do you have slack on your cable when the lever is not being pressed? It sounds like it's probably not adjusted with enough slack on the clutch to fully release it.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the adjustment on it first,if it still does not work right,I would suggest taking it apart and double checking it to make sure you installed it right.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:24 AM

Yes, absolutely check adjustment first.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:55 PM

Agh im retarted... I think I tied d cable to d frame along with all d coolant hoses... not sure cuz not by my bike now.... this could def b d cause

Old 02-23-2011, 03:33 PM

So took the zip-tie off and same isssue... the cable does have slack in it now for sure... i dont know what it could be... could it be just the fact taht it was cleaned and fresh oil is in teh basket??? Ive attached some pictures of the actuator... maybe somethings wrong with it... seems like its pushed a little to far forward to me, but i can move it a little (back and forth) so it feels like its not constantly engaging the clutch... what do you guys think??

Attached Thumbnails Clutch issue-2011-02-23_16-20-18_160.jpg   Clutch issue-2011-02-23_16-20-28_815.jpg  
Old 02-24-2011, 01:32 PM

Never answered one of my questions. did you maintain the direction and order of the discs in the clutch when you took them out and installed them? Is the clutch dragging when you pull the lever in to disengage the clutch, as well as slipping under load?

See, clutch discs wear together and when they are not in the order or direction they were in where they wore together it will cause them to engage each other sooner, but not have enough surface area to have enough friction to keep from slipping. So you would adjust them to where they are not engaging but in fact the are just partially touching.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by AZMechanic
Never answered one of my questions. did you maintain the direction and order of the discs in the clutch when you took them out and installed them? Is the clutch dragging when you pull the lever in to disengage the clutch, as well as slipping under load?

See, clutch discs wear together and when they are not in the order or direction they were in where they wore together it will cause them to engage each other sooner, but not have enough surface area to have enough friction to keep from slipping. So you would adjust them to where they are not engaging but in fact the are just partially touching.
Hey, sorry for not answering that, missed that somehow... when i took the clutch out i placed all the components on top of each other in the order they came out... i then put them aside where they werent touched until re-installation.... the only possible thing i could think of is that i put them in the same order just reversed.... i dont quite know what dragging is but looked it up and no the gears dont grind when trying to engage them.... and the clutch slips when i give the bike throttle.... if i gently ease the throttle it wont slip, but as soon as i give it a little twist itll slip..... no on ehas answered my question of whether its possible for the clutch to be slipping because all contaminants were cleaned out and fresh oil was put in.??? Im sick of this problem!!! If it continues for a few more days i will take it apart...

Old 02-26-2011, 01:50 AM

No. Fresh oil and contaminants gone, it should not slip, but if friction material was not gone and or burnt it would actually improve friction. What oil are you running?

Old 02-26-2011, 02:57 PM

Running mobil 1 4t oil which is made for motorcycles specifically... recommended weight 5w-40 (I believe )...I've been using this oil since I got d bike with no problems... um totally stumped at what it could be...

Quick Reply: Clutch issue