General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch doesn't fully disengage!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 09:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Clutch doesn't fully disengage!

I have a 2006 CBR600F4i which ran fine last week. This week, I tried to move it around the garage and noticed that the movement was slightly hindered.

While the bike was off: I set it to neutral, and the bike could move around fine. I would set it to gear 1 and it would lock in a set position/range going forwards and backwards. I would then disengage the clutch and rock the bike in the same positions. It had heavy resistance at the same locations where it would lock at gear 1 with the clutch engaged. The in between felt like it normally does. I could still power through it with my legs, but definitely heavy resistance.

While the bike was on: As soon as I turn it on, the bike would lunge forward at the start, then it would run fine with no catch at all. No brake needed after the start.

What was done so far: I am rather new to owning a bike and definitely to servicing it, but I did notice when something felt off. I immediately thought the cable had stretched, so I tightened it at the plate then adjusted it at the handle. The problem still persisted. The bike has made a few runs early this season with no issues, so I need some Forum guidance.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:37 PM

Forgot to add that the clutch engages fine after the start at the usual position. Doesn't engage instantly like some of the other posts I saw on here.

Old 05-03-2017, 10:36 AM

Are you able to put the bike on a centre stand/paddock stand? Your clutch might be dragging, i.e. not fully disengaging the engine from the gearbox. Easiest way to find out is put it on a centre stand, put it in neutral & start the engine. If the wheel starts rotating & speeds up if you rev the engine, your clutch isn't disengaging drive properly, which would cause it to jump when trying to start, as the bike is sort of in gear.

Again, a centre/paddock stand will let you change through the gears with the engine running, just to see if changes are smooth and normal.

This will eventually end in the clutch giving up (i.e breaking) & needing to be replaced at great expense.

Worst case I can think of is the clutch has already gone & there are bits between the clutch plates, preventing it from disengaging drive. Have you done an oil change recently? If there are bits of metal in it, chances are the clutch has blown, although you would struggle to change gear if that was the case.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by deaks25
Are you able to put the bike on a centre stand/paddock stand? Your clutch might be dragging, i.e. not fully disengaging the engine from the gearbox. Easiest way to find out is put it on a centre stand, put it in neutral & start the engine. If the wheel starts rotating & speeds up if you rev the engine, your clutch isn't disengaging drive properly, which would cause it to jump when trying to start, as the bike is sort of in gear.

Again, a centre/paddock stand will let you change through the gears with the engine running, just to see if changes are smooth and normal.

This will eventually end in the clutch giving up (i.e breaking) & needing to be replaced at great expense.

Worst case I can think of is the clutch has already gone & there are bits between the clutch plates, preventing it from disengaging drive. Have you done an oil change recently? If there are bits of metal in it, chances are the clutch has blown, although you would struggle to change gear if that was the case.
I will certainly give that a try. The oil was changed about 300 miles ago, and no issues the week before. Just seems strange that it stops dragging after the initial start, but will confirm with your recommend center stand. The moving friction may just be weak enough to not be felt when on the ground.

Old 05-03-2017, 05:36 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by 12andom
I have a 2006 CBR600F4i which ran fine last week. This week, I tried to move it around the garage and noticed that the movement was slightly hindered.

While the bike was off: I set it to neutral, and the bike could move around fine. I would set it to gear 1 and it would lock in a set position/range going forwards and backwards. I would then disengage the clutch and rock the bike in the same positions. It had heavy resistance at the same locations where it would lock at gear 1 with the clutch engaged. The in between felt like it normally does. I could still power through it with my legs, but definitely heavy resistance.

While the bike was on: As soon as I turn it on, the bike would lunge forward at the start, then it would run fine with no catch at all. No brake needed after the start.

What was done so far: I am rather new to owning a bike and definitely to servicing it, but I did notice when something felt off. I immediately thought the cable had stretched, so I tightened it at the plate then adjusted it at the handle. The problem still persisted. The bike has made a few runs early this season with no issues, so I need some Forum guidance.
Totally normal......

Old 05-03-2017, 06:26 PM

I put it on the stand and only first gear seems to be dragging. Clicked it up to second, had it going, pulled the clutch, hit the brake, didn't continue to spin.

Old 05-03-2017, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon
Totally normal......
Normal? It didn't have this issue a week ago... can anyone else confirm?

Old 05-03-2017, 07:31 PM

Normal? It didn't have this issue a week ago... can anyone else confirm?
when it's in gear, more parts are turning, hence more drag.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon
when it's in gear, more parts are turning, hence more drag.
But when the clutch is pulled, it should feel like neutral... especially if the other gears don't have the same drag issue. They come to a stop when the clutch is pulled.

either way, this was a recent change so something has to be off. I have two other bikes in my garage, and none of them have the same issue.

Old 05-04-2017, 05:47 AM

But when the clutch is pulled, it should feel like neutral...
Not true. Neutral is neutral. In gear, you are adding the input shaft, clutch basket, and another gear to the equation. Higher gears have different ratios the turn the basket less.

Quick Reply: Clutch doesn't fully disengage!