General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning a gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 08:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning a gas tank

Just cleaned the carbs in my brothers cbr600f2, how would I go about emptying and cleaning the gas tank? Cause I feel as if it probably wouldn't hurt at all because there was junk in the carbs. Should an inline fuel filter be installed or well that interrupt the flow? I'll probably clean my 900rr gas tank too with your guys' ideas while its winter time.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:32 PM
Default RE: Cleaning a gas tank

Dont put water in it.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:27 PM

I would suggest using Acetone.. Its a really good solvent, its cheap, and will get rid of gunk and completely evaporates. Just be sure to keep it away from any flame or spark. Let it sit for a day or so and then empty it.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:29 AM

Thanks for the input, I do know not to put water in it lol but it never hurts to reiterate that. Will acetone get all of the junk out?

Old 01-24-2009, 12:35 PM

The acetone should get most all of the gunk out. It is used mostly to break down adhesives and does really well on gummed up gas.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:16 PM

i have a tank from a F1 that i need to clean out myself. the bike sat for years with a full tank of gas. the inside is pretty rough, crusty and rusty. i used a pressure washer to remove and flush as much scale and surface rust out.
i've seen chemicals on the internet that advertise to clean your tank, removes any rust. but i'm a little skeptical it will work on my tank. i'll probably get something to coat the inside of it.
why dont you want to use water? i've thought about using "CLR" calcium Lime Rust, or muratic acid and water.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:10 AM

ORIGINAL: tripicana

i have a tank from a F1 that i need to clean out myself. the bike sat for years with a full tank of gas. the inside is pretty rough, crusty and rusty. i used a pressure washer to remove and flush as much scale and surface rust out.
i've seen chemicals on the internet that advertise to clean your tank, removes any rust. but i'm a little skeptical it will work on my tank. i'll probably get something to coat the inside of it.
why dont you want to use water? i've thought about using "CLR" calcium Lime Rust, or muratic acid and water.
For concerns of not getting all the water out which can be a big problem when you get stranded some where. To get scaling or loose rust out use acetone with small nuts or washers and shake it up to knock it loose. I would continue to repeat this process until everything comes out clean. Then you will need to coat it with something or it will just start to rust again. I have never coated a tank myself but I know its possible.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:17 PM
Default cleaning your tank

remove tank and drain fuel quarter fill with nuts and bolts shake for twenty minto remove rust rinse out with drained fuel let it dry buy product petseal i got it from mandp its a resin coat for fuel tanks swill around till no more splashing is heard let resin cure hey presto no more problems also good for sealing pin holes rust removal tecqnique worked a treat for me bit old fasioned maybe but the old tricks sometimes work best hope this helps let me know of your toughts to this all the best

Old 02-12-2009, 08:32 PM

Thank you for the reply, I've cleaned it and got it tunnin already tho lol. I used acetone as advised above and it did the trick. Thank you for your input tho!

Old 02-12-2009, 09:46 PM

I have seen excellent results using stove bolts(the square ones), they scratch better. Use mineral spirits and a little oil. Have a shaker party. It will wear out one person. Crack a couple of cold ones and pass around the tank for a couple of hours. Change the fluid 4 or 5 times. The fun part is getting out all the little bastards.

Quick Reply: Cleaning a gas tank