General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing my own tires.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts
Default Changing my own tires.

Well, now that I've got 4 motorcycles, 3 CBR's and a Rebel 250, it's getting expensive to pay to have my tires changed. I did change my front tire recently by hand using tire spoons and brute strength. I won't be doing that any more. I've been looking around on ebay and Craig's List and found one of these locally for $500. Yea I know, you can change a lot of tires for that, but, lets face it, I have a lot of tires. I also have friends with tires.. if you know what I mean. I got the Ultimate set up which included everything here. I put Drop-In concrete anchors in my garage floor to mount it when I use it. I tried it out today after getting everything set up. They have videos on how to use it online as well as other instructional videos. I had a spare rim and some old tires to practice with. All in all I'm pretty pleased with it and I'm sure I'll be using it to replace a couple of F3 sets here pretty soon.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats awesome i used to work at a tire place and if it wasnt for me working there i dont think i wouldve changed my tires so much or on time, plus i got to keep a machine when they bought new stuff.....such a necessity especially if you have copius amounts like you

Old 07-04-2011, 10:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thought hard about getting the HF tire changer myself. But everything I've read / seen says it only works well when anchored to the floor or a large wooden pallet.

You have a link to a site where it's sold or the manufacturer's website? It's intriguing.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:16 PM

My machine is made up of a $2 pack of zip ties (which are reused for each tire), a few drops of dish soap and lots of muscle power! Total cost per wheel including the calories I burn while doing it? Maybe $1...

Old 07-04-2011, 11:49 PM

I have a No-Mar, used to have a HF (they no longer sell the motorcycle attachment, and there are a lot of "gotchas" with the HF unit. If you buy a few add-ons, you can make it work nicely). The Cycle Hill line from No-Mar is a little cheaper, but the No-Mar is great. Scratchless and very easy, tires go on and off like butter and fast.

I use a hitch mount for the NoMar, they have an attachment that allows you to roll your car onto the base to hold it stable.

No-Mar

Cycle Hill

Harbor Freight lookalike from ProHoist

What you need to make the above not scratch the heck out of your wheels, and then buy either the MojoLever or a No-Mar lever.

Last edited by randyjoy; 07-04-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:51 PM

man a spray bottle of water and dish soap mix 2 large tire spoons and I can do a set in about 15 mins after getting them off the bike. But I did work at a tire shop for about 2.5 years so i've changed way too many tires in my short life already haha.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:07 AM

One of the reasons I like the NoMar is it doesn't scratch at all...ever. I've been changing tires on bikes for 40+ years, I've used spoons before, and even a tiny scratch is not good on an expensive set of wheels or on a powdercoat. Once off the bike, I can do a tire on a No-Mar in less than 5 minutes and never break a sweat....and no scratches. If you change a LOT of tires, it is definately worth it. If not, save your money; I end up doing about 20-30 sets a year between my bikes and buddies. We go through a lot of tires on the track.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:33 AM

I've looked into this as well but wouldn't you still need to get them balanced? Dirt bikes no problem but I wouldn't be keen on riding my CBR without balanced tyres.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:27 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats on your new equip. +1 on NO-MAR. A local guy bought one to change his own tires & now does tires for everyone he knows for $15 per. He paid off his new equip in very little time. :-) Hope it works out well for you.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by F34Me?
My machine is made up of a $2 pack of zip ties (which are reused for each tire), a few drops of dish soap and lots of muscle power! Total cost per wheel including the calories I burn while doing it? Maybe $1...
Yea, I did that a couple of times and I'm too old to be doing that anymore... lol.

I see someone else has posted links so I won't duplicate it.

Quick Reply: Changing my own tires.