General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changing the chain and sprockets

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 07:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing the chain and sprockets

I just ordered a new chain and sprockets the other day and I'm debating if I want to change them out myself or to take it in to the shop and have them do it. Just would like to know how easy it is to change the chain and front & rear sprockets on a 2001 F4i? Step by step procedure would be helpful as would some tips from anyone that has experience doing this. Also, how much would a dealership charge to do this? Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 06-01-2006, 02:31 AM
Default RE: changing the chain and sprockets

Im gonna go out on a limb here and say that most people will tell you that if you dont have that much motorcycle skill...take it in..they have proper tools and the know how to get it all done right.I mean after all if its a stock chain..youll have to break it and without a die grinder or a chain breaker it could be a long day...LOL...so..i would say call the local Honda Guy.

Old 06-01-2006, 02:53 AM

I have to agree with CBRFreek on this.

IT is VERY easy to do, but the tools to rivet the chain together are far from most tool boxes. Since it is a 600, you will not find a clip to join the chain. It must be pressed with a special tool to keep it strong. I do my own, but the tool was around $100 and I really don't use it that often.

Good Luck!
Tim

Old 06-01-2006, 03:09 AM

Yea, take it to the shop with anything that has to do with the chain, The sprockets are easy as hell to change but you have to have a chain breaker to be able to put a chain on. It is very dangerous to improvise with regular tools when putting on a chain.

Old 06-01-2006, 03:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what a shop will charge you will be able to buy the tool. I say buy the tool and do it yourself. Think about it, even if you use the tool more then once, like when you want to back to the OEM set up, you be saving money.

Old 06-01-2006, 03:55 AM

actually im pretty sure the tool costs like over 150 bucks to buy I'd just pay 30 bucks for them to install sprockets and a chain. Atleast thats what they charge me here but i know all of the guys that work at the shop because i ride with them all

Old 06-01-2006, 06:09 AM

it's not a hard job to do
I took mine to the shop as it cost the same as getting the tools

Old 06-01-2006, 09:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Iron Pony has them on close out for $44.99.

http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydire.../Tools/Class1/.

They don't come with instructions on how to use the tool but you can find them on the web.

Old 06-02-2006, 04:20 AM

My '95 1000F has a masterlink chain and I'm figuring it out as I go. Nothing too difficult, keep degreaser AWAY from O-rings and painted surfaces. The hardest thing I've found so far is trying to get the rear axle back through everything on my own... a second person would have made it so much easier.

Other than penny pinching, the biggest benefit I see in this type of DIY is that you can go the extra mile and clean all the caked up rubbish on and around the swingarm where the shops would just clean the areas that *must* be clean and throw it back together. It certainly helps to have a usable workshop at home!

If you only have very basic tools and would prefer to be out riding, get the dealer to do it while you're at work!

I broke a nail which wasn't funny... it hurt [:@]

Old 06-02-2006, 04:22 AM

I guess there's nothing stopping you fro doing all the work yourself then take the bike to the shop on a trailer and get one of the mechanics to come and press in the chain link for you.... although they may say no on the basis of implied liability or some rubbish... just flip em $10 or a 6 pack?

Quick Reply: changing the chain and sprockets