General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

chair & sprocker wear

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 03:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation chair & sprocker wear

i have a 2006 CBR 125R, and its used in all weather conditions. but in the 2 years i have owned it from new, i have changed the chain & Sprockets once, and am getting ready to need to do it again.

the reason it because its constantly covered in dirt, sand and all stuff from the road surfaces. i uses a thick castrol chain wax that i spray onto a hot chain, once every weekend after a quick drive to heat up chain.

what can i do to stop it wearing so badly apart from remove the chain and leave in WD40 ver night and lube before i go anywhere?

Old 11-15-2009, 08:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A dirty chain doesn't mean a worn chain. Chain wear is indicated by slack. And sprocket wear is pretty obvious. If you're lubing the chain every weekend, you're prolly overdoing it.

You cannot prevent a chain from getting dirty. That's the nature of the beast. Check it regularly for wear, clean and lube it when you do. And just know this is one area where your OCD will prolly go into hyperdrive

Old 11-17-2009, 01:12 PM
BDT

I agree with Kuroshio. If you lube it that often it's probably fine. Sounds like its just dirty. There's nothing you can really do about it since lube is a dirt magnet.

How many km are on the chain? It should last a good 10,000+ if kept in proper tension.

Sprocket wear is very obvious as the teeth will start to lose material and get thinner.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:42 AM
Default yer, i know but.......

yer, i know pretty much all of that, but this why im asking. i do about 90 miles per day going to and from work. thats about 450 miles per week(km, thats about 1.6 km per mile)

the chain has done about 4,000 miles at the moment. i just need to know, how can i reduce the amount of dirt in general, the fact i i dont have the time to remove the chain for over 24 hours. and chain is also tensioned every week to make sure i stayes tight, like it needs to be.

i wanna know, would a rear hugger help reduce the amount of dirt and stuff getting on the chain and engine? and is there any other way of maintaining the chain or anything that will help?

thanks

Old 01-05-2010, 08:48 AM

Maybe you are overtightening the chain, this will cause premature wear.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:32 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're tightening up a chain every wk, that's way too much. As Marley said, that can cause wear.

You're chain is going to get dirty regardless of what you put back there. That's just the way it is.

Chains are heartier than you think. Don't fret it getting a little dirty.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:44 PM

Make sure you are leaving about 1 in slack in the chain. Meaning you should be able to move the chain up and down about an inch. If the chain is tight and doesn't move, it will heat up while riding. As you go over bumps and stuff in the road your suspension will stretch the chain causing it to heat up. And like Marley5205 said it'll wear a whole lot faster!

Old 01-06-2010, 11:38 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In fact, having an over-tightened chain is a dangerous situation. Put under torque of the engine, it could snap...& you don't want this to happen at any speed.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:23 PM

Try different chain lubes. I like Maxima Chain Wax, seems to work well for me. You don't really want your chain caked with lube or your just asking for a dirty chain.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dragginazz
Try different chain lubes. I like Maxima Chain Wax, seems to work well for me. You don't really want your chain caked with lube or your just asking for a dirty chain.
+1

If you're keeping your chain bathed in lube, you're probably just attracting more dirt. There is such thing as too much in maintaining your chain.

Too much lube and you're going to attract endless dirt.

Too much tightening and you're going to increase your chain wear.

Too much cleaning (too frequent) and you're probably going to reduce the life of your o-rings and thus the life of your chain.

Everything in moderation.