General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

chain adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 12:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chain adjustment

Sorry is this has been beat to death, but for chain adjustment, I read the manual, but getting some seconds here, you simply loosen the wheel nut so the rear tire can move back and forth for adjustment, make sure both marks on the sides are equal and the chain has desired slack, then re-torque the wheel nuts??? My concern is that I don't have a torque wrench....is it paramount that you use one or just use some common sense, like don't monkey tighten the thing, but good and snug?

Old 01-10-2007, 12:42 AM
Default RE: chain adjustment

ORIGINAL: Shocktroop
My concern is that I don't have a torque wrench....
So rent one...[&:] Better still, BUY ONE. they're cheap.

is it paramount that you use one or just use some common sense, like don't monkey tighten the thing, but good and snug?
You only have two wheels. you wouldn't under torque your lug nut on a car would you? no. so WHY THE HELL would you not give your bike the same courtesy? Since my snug and tight is most likely different that YOUR snug and tight, I'm going to HIGHLY RECOMMEND USEING PROPER TORUQE VALUES.

Old 01-10-2007, 12:54 AM

speaking from expierence, the only thing you realy need to torq on a bike are the engine internals and even then after a few times you'll get that down to a "feel" (I do not slack on the end caps of the conn. rods, I always use a torque wrench on those) If you are that conserned with the wheel, borrow a torque wrench from a friend and use it for the first time and then take it off and use it again to get the feel. From then on you'll get thefeel of it. I probably "torque" at least 5 wheels a day and I've never had an issue, but it is a good idea to use one once or twice to actually feel what the torque specs are supposed to be.

Old 01-10-2007, 01:00 AM

OK OK OK, I got the idea, thanks. I'll go out and buy a torque wrench, probably gonna need it some time or another. Allot of simple stuff I have never done before. My bike has a full maintenance plan and I never have to touch it, but getting the idea that I'd like to know how to do these things myself. Thanks for the info fellas.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:04 AM

You guys use torque wrenches on your car tires?

Old 01-10-2007, 07:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, cause I've got a torque wrench, don't take anymore time to do than a standard wrench.
I seen a lot friends have had to work done on their cars because they have over tightned & stretched the wheel lugs, and have them sheer off. Not to mention the time the wheel wrench snapped on my while trying to undo afront wheel flat on my old Kombi. Cause the guy that installed my new tyres used a pressure wrench to put em on. Most of the bikes I've owned have had a split pin go through the rear nut, so if it did come loose it could not go any further. I'm not saying that a lot of you guys can't tell when you have the right amount of pressure on the things, but some are either to tight (not good for the bearings) or not tight enough (not good for the handling) Torque wrench takes the guess work out of it, and it if you have one you will certainly use it beyond your bike. Had mine for over 20 years. Oh & never lend em out to anyone, you never get em back.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:14 PM

you can get a cheap one at wally world for like $30, or for the same price check the net. I got a boston tools industrial for like $35 shipped.