General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cct

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 10:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cct

I know theres a hundred threads about this but mine will come in on tuesday hopefully. But my question is, is it bad to keep riding for a few days? Im shifting only at around 5 grand to be safe, and the only reason im asking is because i lost my key to my car so i need to ride it.

it sounds like a metal chain slapping against metal so i do believe its just the tensioner.

Thanks for anyones help

Old 09-26-2009, 11:00 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well before saying "no", how certain are you that its the cct? When it started, was there any change in the bike's performance?

And even if it is the cct, while some people might say that it won't hurt anything I can't believe Honda overdesigned the bikes to tolerate metal slapping on metal

Old 09-26-2009, 01:14 PM

a bad cct wouldnt affect performance...If it is really really bad i would not ride it. if it lets your chain get so loose, you may jump your timing and that would lead to bent valves and a bike that wont run again.

So if its not that bad, then ride it, i rode for a month with it being moderately bad and didnt have any problems.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:46 PM

How bad is your rattle? It would have to be pretty bad to jump i would think. When i got my 600 it was a little rattly , i rode it around for 2 months before fitting a m/cct . ride it easy till you get it done.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:33 PM

Lets say the cam chain jumped a tooth, how quickly will you know it? Do the valves progressively get more and more damaged leading to the engine not running in the future or is it pretty quick? What kind of performance would the bike experience with the timing being thrown off?

Old 09-26-2009, 10:51 PM
October 2011 ROTM

If it jumped a tooth you would instantly. Performance would not be the same and I bet it would sound different. Riding the bike for a while isn't going to hurt anything. It will just make an annoying sound.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:44 PM

one tooth you will start to notice drastic performace decreases...it will act like its starving for air, and want to stall...trust me, i just replaced the cam chain on my bike, first time putting it back together my intake cam was one tooth retarded(yes thats correct terminology..lol). It ran, but had NO power,revved very slowly, and wanted to die. so i ripped it down again, advanced the cam one tooth and all is well now. One tooth will not bend any valves, but it is bad none the less.

when a valve gets damaged by bad timing its quick. Think of your piston coming up and hitting a valve that is still down...it will bend it like its nothing.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:00 AM

to add to bending the valve if the valve is in the full down position you take a chance on
not only bending it but cracking the piston and cylinder wall.(Worst case)

Old 09-27-2009, 09:28 AM

Thanks guys. I am asking because about a month ago I installed an MCCT on my '97 F3 to replace my broken OEM one. When i installed it, I didnt screw it in far enough before starting the bike and it made a loud slaping noise (louder then normal). I turned off the bike tightened it down to the corect depth then turned the bike back on and backed it out and adjusted it correctly.

The problem i am now running into (I actually mentioned this in another post but no one was able to give me a clear response) is when is when i flick the throttle in neutral or with the clutch enguaged im getting very little response from about 1200 to 2500, but after it gets passed that point it revs up normally. If i rev it up slowly past that point, I dont get any bogging. I havent noticed any changes when I am actually riding. Is my timing possibly off?

Sorry for stealing the thread Fusion I havent really gotten a clear response on this before and I thought would be able to get one here

Old 09-27-2009, 10:42 AM
October 2011 ROTM

That sounds like a carb issue. If it was timing it would act that way through all rpm's. The carbs probably need to be cleaned and sync'd.