General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CBRF3 Gas POURING out of tank hose

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 10:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBRF3 Gas POURING out of tank hose

Rode about 400 miles this weekend everything was going great till i got back home. Stopped for gas twice on the way back and I was about 24 mi from home when I filled up again. When I parked her in my driveway I noticed the smaller hose (breather) was pouring out gas. I put my finger over the opening to clog the slow drip and then i took my finger off after 10s and a big stream rushed out. Then I put a 20oz bottle to catch what was running out but it would have filled up after 30 mins or so. So i just put a kink in it and ziptied it.

Last edited by Michaud85; 07-02-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:18 PM

I took the zip tie off and let it drain more. filled up a 20oz bottle so i realize that its not going to stop anytime soon. Then i blew through it with my mouth and i could here bubbling in the tank. blew some compressed air through it and heard the bubbling which means its coming from under the gas line (normally called water line). The thing is that it only slowly drips out it doesnt pour in a manner that something under a water line would. If i let this thing keep dripping I am positive that it will just drain the whole tank. Noone else has experienced this issue or has a clue?

Old 07-02-2012, 07:45 PM

Just shooting in the dark here but have other motorcycles and the vent line which it should be or overflow in case of overfill is a small metal tube in the tank that runs from where it enters and up to around the top of the tank if this is cracked in anyway it could cause this.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:48 PM

i was going to suggest something similar. if there was water in the tank at one time or another it could have rusted the overflow tube running up the tank, and it finally gave way. If that's the case, sadly its only going to get worse.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:48 PM

Its the breather tube. my overflow tube works fine and its not coming out of the overflow tube because it would have blasted out all over my tank when I blew air through it.

Last edited by Michaud85; 07-03-2012 at 07:48 AM.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:52 PM

Well if the tank is vented thru say the keyhole or if you were to make it so then you could feasibly block that hose off with no problem other than you would have to be careful not to over fill the tank especially on hot days.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:57 AM

yeah i guess its really looking like Im going to have to find another way to vent it through the top of the tank with some sort of check valve system. it would be almost impossible to repair anything inside the tank.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:37 AM

this happens to me on occasions
just dont fill up before you park the bike.

once you park it the engine is still hot, tank is right above it, heats up the tank, the gas expands and needs someway to get out, forces its way out the breather tube.

i always try to fill up as i start my ride, not when im heading home
when this has happened to me i just took it for a short ride(15-20 miles). parked it and its fine.

not sure how much gas you put in the tank, but when i fill up i always leave it an inch or so below the overfill tube.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:39 AM

well i have since been riding around with my tank vented through the cap. I drilled holes in two select spots so it can breath. I guess I will unkink that breather tube and see whats up. Because I literally filled it to the brim and rode about 20 mins home and it happened.

The thing that confuses me is that i tried blowing out all of the gas in the breather tube while the cap was open so it shouldnt have been trying to expand back into the tube but it did and it kept on pouring out.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:14 PM

Mine just started doing this too. I was test riding the bike and it quit about a mile or so from the house down an old abandoned road. I pushed it back. I almost died, it's over 100 degrees right now.

Sow what makes 'em start dribbling like that all of a sudden? I noticed that there are two hose **** at the back/bottom of the tank. One is the larger vent hose and there is also a smaller one like the tit on the petcock for the vacuum hose. What's the little one for? I can't find a loose hose laying around in there and it's been long enough since I last had the tank off I don't remember what was on there.

Quick Reply: CBRF3 Gas POURING out of tank hose