General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cbr600fx cylinder head

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 05:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cbr600fx cylinder head

hi all
new to this so expect the odd error!!!
i have a cbr600fx 1999......whilst at a garage (for routine work only!) the mechanic showed me a "well" in which the camshaft sits in the head is pitted and scored......so much so that it is not possible to remove the buckets as the edge of the "well" is burred also.
so....i have purchased a 2nd hand head but most of the exhaust studs are either snapped off in the head itself.

question is would it be cheaper to have these studs repaired on the replacement head or should i go to a local engineer who says the original head can be repaired!
also which other head will fit my fx...an 02 f4?...an rr?...as it may be getting a head from a newer model will be less hassle and less wear!?
does anyone have a good spare fx head for sale???
many thanks in anticipation
stuart

Old 03-19-2012, 10:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you post pictures? If the original head just has burrs around the bucket, those should be able to be cleaned up as long as the main bearing surface and cap are not affected. A deburr tool should clean that up quickly. But I'm not there to see it, so I can only assume it the way it is described. Make sure he is gauging the cam with the caps on to see the amount of clearance around the cam. A visual inspection is ok, but it needs to be measured to tell whether or not the head is bad. Unless its so obviously bad you can see daylight around the cam.

As for the other head. I'd take it to a machine shop and have them remove the studs. It should be relatively easy for a reputable machine shop to do so. They will have all of the proper equipment to do it. Thats probably the route I would go.

Again though, post up some pictures if you can. You'll get more definite answers if we can see exactly what your talking about.