General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CBR600F4i won't start- Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 11:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CBR600F4i won't start- Help please!

Hi guys, I have run into a problem with the bike again.
I'd try to make it short -
The bike stood in the rain through the weekend. I didn't think too much of it as it this has happened umpteen times before. Next Monday it started right up, but after a second or two the rpms started dropping and it died. It would start with some persuasion but would die down again.
There's no gas coming from the pipe and no FI codes whatsoever. All lights indicators also work as they should. I checked the battery and the voltage is good plus the stator also supplies charge when I started it up briefly(need to give it throttle continuously). I'd think vaccum line issue mean really rich mixture but as I said no smell of fuel whatsoever.
The fuel pump also primes and the whine is not unusual so I don't think problem with fuel pump.
The bike cranks over fine and as mentioned above the engine also turned.
I had a power commander fitted last week but disconnected it and still the same. I pulled the tank and the airbox and could see the the injectors spraying mist the first time, but think it didn't do the next time.
What can it be? Fuel line issues?

edit- I checked the fpr and there's no leak. Didn't imagine there'd be anyway as there's no smell of fuel at all. I am now going to check if the injectors are getting fuel or not.

The injectors are working fine. All 4 are squirting fuel. Can the plugs be ruled out as it ran fine before this happened. Not all plugs can go wrong together?
Or may be coil wiring issue?Or am looking at some engine issues now? A

Last edited by ceebeeaarguy; 04-14-2018 at 02:07 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:37 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Could water have got in the gas? Other than that, make sure all the connectors are dry inside.

Old 04-14-2018, 03:06 PM

Hi Demon, thanks for your reply. I don't think water has gone into the fuel tank. It never did till date and commute every day rain or shine. Do you think I should drain the fuel and get fresh fuel?
I did notice when I disconnected the PC3, the connectors had slight water inside, which surely could have gone inside as vapour as the sit snug covered by a rubber flap. But the connectors appear dry now.
Wouldn't a short due to water cause other electrical issues? All of my electricals seem to be working fine.
I am going to check the plugs tomorrow but would be surprised to find ignition issues overnight

Old 04-14-2018, 05:34 PM

New gas wouldn't hurt. You could always sample it in a clear glass and see if there appears to have water in it.

But it you have spark and fuel spraying, then I question the fuel itself.

Old 04-16-2018, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by 74demon
New gas wouldn't hurt. You could always sample it in a clear glass and see if there appears to have water in it.

But it you have spark and fuel spraying, then I question the fuel itself.
I checked and there's spark, although I checked spark on just one plug, but don't have any reason to doubt there'd be no spark on others.
I used a clean plug to test spark. It was yellowish and not really blue but the plug I used came out the last time I replaced plugs so yes it was old plus battery didn't have enough juice anyway after repeated startup attempts.
I also siphoned off some fuel out of the tank and let it settle but could see no water at all.
But the more I think the more it appears to me either or both of the two-
Bad battery- didn't have enough charge to sustain strong sparks
Water/bad batch of fuel in the tank- This theory is somewhat lent strength by my observation on the day that it initially started up fine and sounded nice and strong for a second or two and then started bogging and died. May be the first few moments it was consuming fuel out of the fuel rail and lines which was ok, the moment fuel from the tank flowed to the injectors(which supposedly had water or was bad) it started to foul the plugs.

I also checked the vaccum lines on the throttle bodies and they didn't appear loose or anything.

No my problem is siphoning out all the fuel and dunmping it somewhere. Any proper ideas? I am thinking of unscrewing the fuel rail and the tank off and disconnecting the pump then simply dump the fuel in a container and that should be it? Or is there an easier way?

Old 04-16-2018, 06:39 AM

Either method is acceptable to empty the tank. Do whats easier for you.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:06 AM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

An infra red non contact thermometer (amazon £12) would be helpful here. Once you can get her started, you can check individual down pipes for variation.

Old 04-22-2018, 04:15 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.Bike is back up now. Not really sure what happened. Topped the battery up, cleaned the plugs and tried and it started fine. Didn't even change the fuel as I had checked a 500ml sample from the bottom of the tank and there was no water. I have thrown new plugs, changed the oil and a new battery is on the way, even though the previous one appears to hold charge just fine! Think I'd put it up for sale now. Fancy a change!

Old 05-26-2018, 06:20 PM

OK, so just a bit of rain after a glorious dry sunny spell here in UK and the it is doing it again. Won;t hold idle, jerks and jumps. It was parked at work and since it's open parking was exposed in rain. But it only just drizzled no raining cats and dogs at all.
Start it up and immediately did what it did weeks ago when it sat in rain over the night. I am not sure what to look at. I'd be really surprised if it's the tank leaking as it never did before. I have added some injector cleaner additive and ohave ordered some water displacer. Let' see how it goes.
Can water inside the switchgear or ignition barrel cause it somehow?
Again, no FI codes and the bike never cuts it self out if I give it throttle, jumps and jerks but the dash never resets or anything. All electricals work fine.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:28 AM

Anyone? It is not holding idle at all still. Plus the exhaust note is that of a twin which means not all cylinders are firing. This could be due to plugs fouling. But this is a symptom surely as plugs do not have 100 miles on them(fitted them 2 weeks ago).
Should I get a new filler cap or should look at teh coils?They seem to be sitting snug inside the head btw so unsure if moisture has got in from there?

Quick Reply: CBR600F4i won't start- Help please!