General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cbr crank no start

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2021, 09:14 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Do you have spark?

Old 04-29-2021, 06:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 74demon
Do you have spark?

sorry for late reply bro, and I haven’t pulled the plugs yet , it started down pouring so I called it a day but I would assume I did because it started fine before this. I changed the stator cover gasket and I believe that’s the last time it started so I’m not sure if I did something while replacing it, I read a thread about a guy that went through something similar and his problem was he tightend the cover to tight which caused it not to start, so I’m hoping and praying that’s where my issue lies. Man I’ve done so much work and dumped so much money into the bike and haven’t even got to ride it since last something , I’m getting anxious!!

This was it the last time I rode it. Now all the fairings are off n it looks horrible

Old 04-29-2021, 07:12 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Don't assume anything.....

Your bike has been stretched and moded pretty good. Did you happen to find a hidden kill switch or anything abnormal that the PO may have done?

Old 04-30-2021, 08:52 AM

Your bike has been stretched and moded pretty good. Did you happen to find a hidden kill switch or anything abnormal that the PO may have done?

Well when I got the bike I noticed the egcv was being held open by a wire, the servo motor was still in but had no cables. No hidden kill switch however after putting the full exhaust on it didn’t start. Which was odd because it started before, and while I was putting the exhaust on I took out the servo motor , and put in the servo buddy, my air box had no flapper in it already, I did the pair delete mod, and adjusted my exhaust valve shims . So basically there could of been a lot of reasons why it wouldn’t start, after troubleshooting for a while, I got a new ecu and it fired up. But since I got the bike I’ve had back to back problems and had to replace a lot of stuff. So I’m hoping to get the bike running mint again . But ya your right I shouldn’t assume anything, I’m going to pull the stator cover off, look inside, make sure everything is good, put back on , tighten to spec and see if it starts . If not then I guess my next step is replacing the plugs. After that I’m not really sure where to look.

Old 04-30-2021, 01:34 PM

ok so I don’t have spark. I tested by putting a screwdriver on the coil boot and grounding on the frame. Since I brought the bike home and it’s not in my garage where all my tools are I didn’t have the proper things on hand to get the plugs out. But when I pulled the boots off they smelled like gas and they were wet on the sides so if I replace the plugs and it still don’t fire I’m lost man.

Old 04-30-2021, 01:42 PM
Welcome crew
Received 340 Likes on 316 Posts

Replacing the plugs do not appear to be the priority here, getting a spark is. Even if you replace the plugs you will still not have a spark.
You need to work back upstream to figure out why, check the fuses and connectors as a starter for 10.
I suspect you will need to use the wiring diagram and do some fault finding, you have probably disturbed something as you state you have previously had it running.

Old 04-30-2021, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Al1040
Replacing the plugs do not appear to be the priority here, getting a spark is. Even if you replace the plugs you will still not have a spark.
You need to work back upstream to figure out why, check the fuses and connectors as a starter for 10.
I suspect you will need to use the wiring diagram and do some fault finding, you have probably disturbed something as you state you have previously had it running.
just put in 4 new plugs and it fired right up!!! The plugs that were in it were soaked . I got the bike started , sounds great, I got a lot of smoke from the headers and pipes from oil and the firegum gasket sealer the exhaust came with but other then that she sounds mint. Now I got to put her back together!! Thanks for the hep fellas i appreciate it!!

Old 04-30-2021, 04:45 PM
Welcome crew
Received 340 Likes on 316 Posts

Wow, good for you. Whi would have thought it. You must have had a spark after all.
Well done

Old 04-30-2021, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Al1040
Wow, good for you. Whi would have thought it. You must have had a spark after all.
Well done
thanks man. And I know ,I thought the same thing, the screwdriver must have not been grounded good when I tested for spark.. I can’t wait to get it back together and go for a ride!! I had bought a new undertail im currently putting on, and then get everything back together and back on the road!

Old 04-30-2021, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

Sweet sweet sweet! Have to love it. Congratulations and enjoy the ride.

The following users liked this post:
Bikelife1229 (05-01-2021)

Quick Reply: Cbr crank no start