General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cbr crank no start

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2021, 04:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cbr crank no start

Hey guys it’s been a while, so over the winter I put a full exhaust on my 929 and adjusted my valve shims and a few other minor mods. After getting the bike back together I had no start . I eventually fixed the problem, it was my ecu , I put a new one in and it fired up. This was about 2 months ago, my wife got sick so I wasn’t able to go back and work on the bike until recently. Well now it won’t start. Here’s what I notice,
1. All my lights blinkers, fuel pump work.
2. When I go to start the bike the rpm needle goes backwards.
3 I opend the throttle when I pushed the start button and noticed my injectors are only spraying when I hit the start button, I’m not sure if they are suppose to prime when I turn the key and the fuel pump primes but it don’t.
4 I checked all fuses, and the only code I have right now is a solid light.

please please please guys the weather is getting nice, I haven’t even got to take 1 ride yet with my new full exhaust!!! I don’t have money to bring to a shop right now, I usually do the work myself anyway I’m just stumped

Old 04-27-2021, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Bikelife1229
Hey guys it’s been a while, so over the winter I put a full exhaust on my 929 and adjusted my valve shims and a few other minor mods. After getting the bike back together I had no start . I eventually fixed the problem, it was my ecu , I put a new one in and it fired up. This was about 2 months ago, my wife got sick so I wasn’t able to go back and work on the bike until recently. Well now it won’t start. Here’s what I notice,
1. All my lights blinkers, fuel pump work.
Well that's a good sign. ECU is sending signal for the fuel pump to run so Engine Stop switch is on, BAS is happy.
2. When I go to start the bike the rpm needle goes backwards.
Hmm, not sure on this symptom. Low battery possibly
3 I opend the throttle when I pushed the start button and noticed my injectors are only spraying when I hit the start button, I’m not sure if they are suppose to prime when I turn the key and the fuel pump primes but it don’t.
Fuel Pump priming is to develop fuel pressure so that the injectors spray when they're supposed to, but not during priming.
4 I checked all fuses, and the only code I have right now is a solid light.
This is normal. It means you have no codes in memory.
please please please guys the weather is getting nice, I haven’t even got to take 1 ride yet with my new full exhaust!!! I don’t have money to bring to a shop right now, I usually do the work myself anyway I’m just stumped
What's your battery V like? Are you getting any spark?

Old 04-27-2021, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
What's your battery V like? Are you getting any spark?

so the battery is brand new. I put it in 2 months ago, and I had it on the charger and made sure it was charged up. However I left the multi meter at my garage and I brought the bike home so I can have more time to finish it. I didn’t check for spark BUT I just sprayed starter fluid in and it still didn’t start so I’m assuming that’s where my problem lies. What through me off was last time o was at the garage 2 months ago I adjusted my timing because it was off 1 tooth. I fired it up and it sounded a lot better. Now I’m getting no spark. So I guess I’m going to replace the plugs tomorrow and see what happens. Thank you for the fast reply, if you have any suggestions, anything I should look at let me know. Thank you

Old 04-27-2021, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

I don't have a wiring diagram for a 929 so can't make any suggestions. If you're not getting a spark from any plugs, then I don't think I'd suspect the plugs themselves. I'd be thinking about what creates the spark in the first place. Is there a fuse that is part of the ignition. On my F4i there is a separate 20A fuse that is not in the fuse block that provides power to the coil packs. I can't say on the 929 without a wiring diagram.

The following users liked this post:
Bikelife1229 (04-28-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 08:52 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

The fi fuse that feeds the coils, also feeds the injectors.

What was done to it from the time it ran until the time it didn't?

The following users liked this post:
Bikelife1229 (04-28-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by 74demon
The fi fuse that feeds the coils, also feeds the injectors.

What was done to it from the time it ran until the time it didn't?

so I checked all the fuses , including the 20 amp fuse you mentioned. And nothing was done to it ,after I started it the last time all I did was replace the stator cover gasket. However, what I’m thinking is, when I did my valve adjustment I lost timing and when I set it I was off 1 tooth , the bike didn’t sound to good, so I went back in , re set it, and I put oil on the cam lobes but accidentally spilled a little bit in the cylender cover, and when I went to start the bike it sounded a lot better , however right under the headers there 4 tiny holes , I had a lot leaking through them so maybe my spark plugs fouled out over time from sitting there?

Old 04-28-2021, 12:26 PM
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Wiring diagram CBR 929 2000-2001 europe

wiring diagram cbr 929 2000-2001 US and Canada

The following 2 users liked this post by chris0986:
Bikelife1229 (04-28-2021), IDoDirt (04-28-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 12:46 PM

So I checked my voltage at the coils and I got 12 v . So I’m assuming my spark plugs must of got fouled, they are brand new , literally haven’t even took one ride with them, BUT, when klutz them in 3 months ago and after I did the valve adjustment, I put oil on my camshafts and i spilled a bit in there so I’m assuming when the oil leaked out the front of the block by the headers, it got the plugs soaked to the point of no return. Any opinions? I tried with starter fluid , and I noticed my injectors are spitting fuel so I’m getting gas. I have power. WTF!!!!

Old 04-28-2021, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

Well I just picked up a 2001 929 shop manual for future reference on ebay. That a MANUAL, not another motorcycle :-)

Old 04-28-2021, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by chris0986

Wiring diagram CBR 929 2000-2001 europe

wiring diagram cbr 929 2000-2001 US and Canada
Man, who the heck is doing color wiring diagrams? That's nice!

Quick Reply: Cbr crank no start