General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CBR 954RR - Been sitting for a while - Dead Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 03:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR 954RR - Been sitting for a while - Dead Battery?

Hey Guys:

I put the CBR 954RR in my garage for the past year. I took it out this weekend because it seemed like a nice day to go for a ride (I live in Cali). Long story short, I forgot to connect the trickle charger. When I reconnected it the charger did not light up red (charging) or green (storage). And when I turn the key to ignition on the bike, and try to start it up, no go.

It looks like I have a dead battery? If I get a new battery and replace it, do you think I'll have to do anything additional to get it back up and running again? It's been sitting for about year in the garage without having been start up.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 12-15-2013, 05:03 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

See if it starts with a new battery or a jump start with the old one. If it does it might not need anything other than a damned good ride. You've checked oil, coolant and tyre pressures of course?

Old 12-15-2013, 09:24 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd take to autozone. They charge any battery for free. If it's bad - they'll tell you. But since it costs nothing - I'd try that route first if the battery wasn't that old before you put it away.

I'd check your tires and everything if it was sitting on the ground or not on a stand. Did you stabilize the fuel before hand? Even if you did - with it being a year, you may want to drain the tank and start with some fresh fuel. The old fuel could cause the bike not to run that great - and be "choppy".

Good luck though. I hope you get the battery charged and it starts right up.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:17 PM

Thanks for the reply guys. I'll try to take the battery over to Autozone to see if it charges. I put fuel stabilizer in before I put it in the garage, but I agree it's been a while so I'll drain it and put some fresh new gas in.

Hope it all works out!

Old 12-15-2013, 11:37 PM
Welcome Crew Technician
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was your tank full? If not make sure no rust formed in the tank! Had to do it myself after mine sat for 3 years. Vinegar cleared it right up though.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:59 PM

Can you explain what you did with the vinegar to clean your tank. I've never heard of that before.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:24 AM
Welcome Crew Technician
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah, many tuts on it for cleaning many things.

The acetic acid in the vinegar (white or apple cider, both contain 5% in the jugs you pick up from the grocery) dissolves the rust. I have read and heard of people using both. I personally used white beacause it was cheaper but I have prolly seen more tuts using apple cider. Not sure why though since both contain 5%.

I took the tank off my F4i and dismantled it. Removed the fuel pump even though from what I read the vinegar is safe on the electrical components I didnt want to risk having to replace them so I pulled it. Then sealed the oblong opening with tape. Before sealing though I filled with 4 gallons white vinegar and let it sit. I did this in a 4 step process because mine was particularly rusty.

1. 4 gallons vinegar went in so that the fuel cap was on the ground, so the tank was upside down because thats where the majority of my rust was. 24 hour timer on this stage. Give it a good shake anytime you get a chance to.

2. Drained the vinegar. Be sure to strain it if you can patiently do so because if you have a lot of rust that initial treatment will remove a lot of the very loose stuff. I put a filter under a funnel and stuck the funnel back in the container it came in. The good thing about the vinegar is it can be resused althrough out these steps, completely ok. My personal thing was to strain just so it was easier on the final clean.

3. Put 2 gallons in. I then grabbed some composite screws that have the self tapping heads and put them in. about a handful. Thinking back I would use something next time that wont get stuck in the top of the tank. I got them all out but it took some maneuvering. This step is pretty much trial and error. Because it does not need another 24 hour soak. A rigorous shake a about say 10 times in 2 hours or so will give your final removal . If not you can simply repeat this step untill you see the nice shiny metal inside. This works best on older rounder tanks, My tank for example has a lot of little nooks and such that some of them just dont get to.

4.After draining from previous step you can do as you please to get it clean. I gargled the tank in smaller incriments of vinegar to clear the remaining particles of rust that didnt just pour out. Once that was out I completely rinsed the inside of the tank water. After I thought it was clean enough I then put a gallon of gas in to clean the walls of any remaining vinegar. Kerosene would work too. After you done with this either go immediately and fill the tank with Gas or what I did was coated inside with wd-40. Then I took a hair dryer and let it dry the inside really well so it wouldnt start rusting again. So far Its been sitting 4 days with no gas in it and no signs of flash rusting.

Thats about it mate...nothing to crazy.

Last edited by PossibleOne; 12-17-2013 at 12:27 AM.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:19 AM

Thanks Possible.
Your method sounds like something from a 19th century home tips book but it obviously works. I have a lot of crap in my tank which I deal with by regularly cleaning the fuel filter. It's getting better since I've had the bike but still the deposits keep coming. As I fill her up every other day I don't really worry about it too much as she's not sitting around collecting condensation causing more rust to form. I am more worried about the ethanol in fuel these days.
I might just give your method a shot and see if I can rid the tank of the dreaded flakes once and for all.
Your tip should be made into a nice little 'how to'. Simple but effective.

Cheers

H

Old 12-17-2013, 04:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by HenryM
Can you explain what you did with the vinegar to clean your tank. I've never heard of that before.

Here you go Henry

Cheers, SB

Old 12-17-2013, 04:27 AM

Bullet!

Quick Reply: CBR 954RR - Been sitting for a while - Dead Battery?