General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CBR 900RR not turning over

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 10:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR 900RR not turning over

Hey yall may have seen my post about having to sell my bike, well i am trying to get it running and i changed the spark plugs with new ones it has fresh gas and everything turns on but it wont turn over when i hit the starter. i think i might have charged the battery to long but i am not sure. it s a new battery(about 2 years old withonly about3 rides on it and a few charges)and has been working fine to turn the bike over till now so what gives. any advice would be great andthanks in advance.

plus if it is the battery then if any of yall have one and are near the Tucson area let me know how much you want for it.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:24 PM
Default RE: CBR 900RR not turning over

this may a dumb suggestion... but its not in gear with the kickstand down is it?

Also, check to make sure your engine kill switch is in the run postion.

I know these arecommon things, but I've seen it happen a lot.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:59 AM

Can you elaborate more on what happens when you hit the starter?

Does it "chug" but not want to start? If it does chug, is it a strong "chug" or a weak little one?

Do you just get nothing when you hit the starter?

Do you get a clicking sound from under the seat area, or is the starter motor turning well?

If your battery is two years old with only 2 rides on it, then you have really buggered it up with the long stand. Most likely it has discharged too much and wont be able to give the correct Amperage for the starter motor to turn strong, and hold the good charge. Try kick starting the bike and run it for a few minutes keeping the revs around the 5000rpm mark. Then let the bike stand for a while and then try to start it again, if it gives a weak little "chug", your battery is shot and you will need to replace it. Its an "old school/low tech" test but kinda failsafe if you dont have a volt meter laying around.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:26 AM

well i have thekill switch isin therun position, the kick stand is down but it is in neutral and when i push the start button absolutely nothing happens no chug, no click, nothing. i am thinking it might be the battery or the starter relay. i cant push start it cause i have the bike torn down a bit to get it ready to go. the starter makes no attempt to turn but the fan turns on and runs, and all lights that are suppossed to come on do when i turn the ingnition on.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:28 PM

Ok, first things first, check the battery with a voltmeter. If the battery is damn old but charged up to 12 volts, it should give one "chug" and then die, maybe you might hear some clicking under the seat as your starter relay is saying "Hey man!! Give me more power". Best thing is to get a new battery, so then you at least know its not the battery. Before buying the battery read this thread on battery maintenance on getting the most out of battery life.

https://cbrforum.com/m_87095/tm.htm

After that check every fuse on the bike. If the fuses are fine, check that they are sitting nice and snug (a loose fuse caught me out one day). Under the right hand cover, next to the radiator cap.

Then check that there are no breaks in the wires from your starter switch to your relay, and then from the relay to the starter motor. Wires are pretty tough so your best bet will be a blown fuse.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:39 PM

i appreciate it bud i am going to check those tomorrow. i figured on checking the fuses but i havnt gotten around to messing with the bike again, i checked all the wires and they seem to be snug and no frays, and the fuses were all sitting tight but i didnt pull them to check for blown ones.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:19 AM

Ok cool, yeah that could be your prob, I hope it is as its the easiest and cheapest fix.

Good luck...