CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-tech-9/)
-   -   cbr 600f starting problems, Helpppp (https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-tech-9/cbr-600f-starting-problems-helpppp-118412/)

Smokie187 11-06-2010 10:09 AM

cbr 600f starting problems, Helpppp

I am having trouble getting my bike fired up, everything is working but when i go to turn it over it starts to fire and something like a sensor or relay clicks and kills the motor and then wont fire back up untill i turn the key off and wait for it to reset and ill hear a click and try to refire it up and does the same thing tries to fire but seems like its getting cut off from somewhere.. My question, Is there a relay that will cut all spark when triggerred. or something that kills the system? any help would be helpful.. Ive been up and down this bike tryin to convert it from race back to street and keep hitting walls in the process..

thrasher572 11-06-2010 12:01 PM

What year is the bike?
Start with the basics. Fuel on, engine kill switch in run position, key on.
How is the battery? Low voltage can cause some interesting faults.
Fuel filter both inline and in tank could be restricted. Fuel pump could be low capacity. Petcock may be breaking down...usually leak.
Air filter clean... found pounds of dogfood deposited by mice before. Also had seeds/food in exhaust.
Spark plugs could be fouled.
Good luck ... let us know what you find.

LJ Harp 11-06-2010 01:28 PM

Sounds like a eletrical problem, they year would help and a general area of where the click or relay is please

Smokie187 11-07-2010 10:00 AM

The year is a 87' hurricane. i figured out it was the fuel cut off relay so i replaced it with one from another harness i have for the bike and it continues to fire but wont start sounds like it wants to and almost does but just doesnt.. carbs have been cleaned the ENTIRE fuel system cleaned from pitcock to carbs, air filter is kinda dirty but i dont think it would stop it from running its not that bad, battery has been low but on booster while cranking, and plugs are fine.. just took them out and all is well no discolor on them other than one from the backfiring but i just replaced it with another new one and its still doing the same.. is it possible the pilot screws are off?? i put them all back to stock at 2 1/4 turns out and since ive done that ive got more fire on it.. seems like its something small stopping it..

Michaud85 11-07-2010 10:25 AM

where is the click coming from home slice

Smokie187 11-07-2010 10:38 AM

the click was coming from the fuel cut off relay. because the guy i purchased the bike from had the fuel pump wired to a toggle and the cut off was trippin. well i rewired the pump to the harness like its suppose to be and its now tryin to fire without the click and shutoff.. but it tries to start without choke on but seems like it just dont got enuff to keep running so i add some choke to it and it backfires which leads me to believe its getting to much fuel and that points to the pilot screws. im gonna try to pull the air filter out and see if its that being a lil dirty maybe its chokin the carbs to much..

LJ Harp 11-09-2010 08:39 PM

so you have spark you have fuel do you have compression?

Smokie187 11-10-2010 04:25 PM

I got it running like a champ now, i pulled the carbs back off and reset the pilot screws to 2 1/4 turns and pulled the plugs out and of course from all the backfiring it was doing the plugs were a lil black so i cleaned them and gap'd them at 0.89mm and put everything back together and attempted to fire it up and it started right up and with it warmed up i adjusted the throttle stop screw for idle and now it purrs like a kitten lol.. thank you all for the responses.. And i found out while cleaning the jets that it has a stage 3 jet kit because of the .30 over bore on the engine that was just done... of course more air means more fuel.. Thank you all again and i will continue to view these threads and help wherever and whenever i can..

bigboi18184 11-10-2010 04:53 PM

Glad to hear you got it back running, throw some pics of it in your profile so we can all check it out.

Smokie187 11-11-2010 10:39 AM

Anyone know where i can find a fairing kit for this bike?? on the cheaper side??.. since its a 87' im having a hard time finding the kits.