General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CBR 600 f3

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 08:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR 600 f3

Hey
I have a 1996 cbr f3. bought it all was fine. rode a few hundred miles and decided to change the oil. Went with Valvoline 10w40 full synthetic for wet clutch protection and a off brand oil filter. after the oil change my clutch makes a light growl noise when in neutral and the clutch is out, but the noise stops when I pull it in. Any ideas on if the oil change could have caused this?
Thanks for any input

Old 07-25-2013, 01:02 PM

Is it possible that the oil filter is not allowing enough flow through the bike??? its an oil filter from Napa auto parts just some off brand filter.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:14 PM

You'd more likely hear valve noise from a bad oil filter. The clutch makes quite a bit of noise, this is normal. Mine does the exact same thing sometimes its louder depending on the angle the bike is at, if its on stands it makes less noise than if its on the kick stand. depressing the clutch makes the noise go away.

If your really worried and want to check the clutch its really simple. pull the clutch cover off and remove pressure plate, mark its location to ensure it goes back on exactly as it came off. take out the clutch plates and measure tolerance to see if its within spec or not. Make sure to put the plates back in exactly as they came out. Aslo as a side note, the first and last clutch plate is usually worn much more than the rest of the plates..

Old 07-25-2013, 02:15 PM

look for this 'donut' on the back of the oil bottles.
Name:  IMAG0488_zpsc8eaea5d.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  163.1 KB
if the bottom half has anything in it, then that oil wont work with a wet clutch. you want that space to be empty, like in the pic.
and heres a cross reference list for oil filters, i would recommend going with a decent brand. Most people would suggest to avoid fram.
Motorcycle Oil Filter Cross Reference