General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CBR 125, laid down, now won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR 125, laid down, now won't start

Hello,

New member, new rider! I have a 2008 CBR 125. I was riding yesterday and not sure exactly what happened, but I laid the bike down on the left side. I wasn't going very fast and the bike didn't drop very hard. I got the bike up but couldn't start it. Tried everything I could think of. Wasn't sure what was wrong. Luckily I was really close to home and pushed it back and put it away. Thought maybe I flooded it...if that can even happen. (Seriously I am clueless with engines and motorcycles!) Today same thing. Won't start. The lights come on, I hear the fuel pump, push the ignition button and you can hear it trying to turn over, but nothing. I'm guessing the more I try, the more I drain the battery. I don't know how old the battery is. Should I get a new one, or does anyone have any other ideas of what could be wrong?
Thanks so much for any and all help!

Old 10-19-2012, 02:36 PM
Default Cbr 125

If everything works fine when you turn on the key (fuel pump works and starter motor) the only other thing you can check is for spark plug. Remove the coil, remove the plug, plug in the spark plug to the coil and hold the base (threaded part of the spark plug) against the engine (where there's good ground) turn on the bike and push the starter button to check if the spark plug works. If it doesn't replace by a new one and test again. If you still have no spark then, it means your bike has an "automatic" safety drop switch of some kind to cut power( in fuel inject cars theres the inertia switch, it cuts off the fuel pump, as for bikes I really don't know mine is carbed). Hope it helps.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:27 PM

Just a quick question did you turn the kill switch off then back on sometimes you need to do this to reset the system..

Old 10-20-2012, 12:10 PM

Yes I did try turning off the engine switch as well. No luck!

Old 10-20-2012, 01:35 PM

Hi. Sorry to hear about your problem! Try connecting some jump leads from a car battery to your battery. If it starts get a new battery. I can't see laying the bike down causing such a problem. I've had a couple of BMWs on their side in the past with no ill effect, but I suppose anything's possible. As suggested, there may be a cut out switch that comes into play when the bike tips over a certain angle, but I'm not sure it would be on your bike. Check you have a spark and also try opening the throttle to the fully open position then crank the engine. It may just start if you have previously 'flooded' the engine as you say from trying to start it in the past. Good luck and get back to the forum if you are still having problems?

Old 10-20-2012, 04:07 PM

If it has a charcoal canister or any other EVAP valve ...
It might be full of fuel and stopping the tank from being vented. Thus no or just a little fuel gets to the engine.

Also removing the fuel cap to allow the pressure in the tank to equalize with the atmosphere

Also, while the tip over sensor should reset itself check to see if it is dislodged or try giving it a tap.

Check no fuses or relays have become dislodged as well.

A few long shots but simple things first before tearing stuff apart i say...

Last edited by Snakezz; 10-20-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:06 AM
Default I got it running!

Thanks to everyone for all of their help! I took the battery out, charged it up and thankfully it was the problem. I must have flooded it, then wore the battery down trying to start it again. Silly me! Lesson learned!!

Old 10-22-2012, 06:22 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yay! Sometimes, it works out. It was at least a way for you to dip your toes
in the forums waters.

Since you're a bit 'clueless' about bikes and maintenance,
check out the new-member section out. There is a lot of advice given,
questions answered, and basic survival skills discussed there.

Welcome, Ern

Old 10-22-2012, 11:19 PM

Great news time to enjoy the ride again..