General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carb cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 06:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb cleaning

hey guys, i recently got a 94 cbr 600 f2 that is mechanically sound but hasnt been started in 6 months. since it will not start right now, i friend recommended that i drain the gas, pull the plugs and possibly replace them as well clean up the carbs some. i pulled the tank and airbox off but i dont really want to start messing with pulling the carbs out unless it is absolutly necessary. would spraying some carb cleaner into the carbs be beneficial?

also, this may sound skilly but i cant figure out how to drain the gas out of this tank, i guess because of the vaccum, haha. could someone enlighten me on the easiest way to get rid of that old gas? sorry if i sound stupid, this is the first time i've been pulling a bike apart on my own. thanks!
zach

Old 12-17-2005, 08:55 PM
Default RE: Carb cleaning

I don`t think carb cleaner could hurt, but I don`t know how much it would help either. If old fuel sat in the bowls for six months, I hate the thought of what could be gooed up in your jets...... As far as the fuel tank, crack the lid with the petcock on, and pull the hose. that should do it unless the line is plugged up.( maybe that is why it wouldn`t start ?)I say before you rip out the carbs, put fresh gas in, try to get it running and put a bottle or two of the in fuel carb cleaner through it

Old 12-18-2005, 02:38 PM

Stop-gap measures and doing things half-a$$ may be the usual way, but it ain't the right way. The plugs have to be replaced and the carbs have to come off and be cleaned. Can you do it yourself? Sure, if you have the service manual, decent tools, and most importantly, confidence.

As for the manual, I like the Haynes manual, but the Honda one is OK. You don't need any special tools to take off and disassemble carbs, but you need a good Phillips-head screwdriver. Depending on the carb, there are 32 screws holding down the float chamber covers and diaphram covers. And every one of them wants you to strip their heads. You just have to remember that most everything on the bike is made of plastic, aluminum, or in the case of the carbs, pot metal or zinc.

Old 12-18-2005, 03:04 PM
Retired Mod

ORIGINAL: slowpoke

Stop-gap measures and doing things half-a$$ may be the usual way, but it ain't the right way. The plugs have to be replaced and the carbs have to come off and be cleaned. Can you do it yourself? Sure, if you have the service manual, decent tools, and most importantly, confidence.

As for the manual, I like the Haynes manual, but the Honda one is OK. You don't need any special tools to take off and disassemble carbs, but you need a good Phillips-head screwdriver. Depending on the carb, there are 32 screws holding down the float chamber covers and diaphram covers. And every one of them wants you to strip their heads. You just have to remember that most everything on the bike is made of plastic, aluminum, or in the case of the carbs, pot metal or zinc.

i agree. besides, you said that you recently purchased this bike. this is an excellent opportunity to dive in and learn some of the mechanicals of the bike. i would also have the carbs synchronized to maximize fuel economy, performance, and throttle response.

Old 12-18-2005, 08:15 PM

thanks for the replies, i have gotten a hold of a service manual and looking through the carb section i have to admit i am a little intimidated! i would love to take the carbs apart as i think it would be a valuble learning experiance for me, i'm just not sure if i have the skill level to do it, haha.

as for the as far as synchronizing the carbs, what all is involved with that? i have no experiance with anything like that so some input would be appreciated. also, as opposed to going crazy with carb cleaner, what is the best way to actually go about cleaning them out once they are taken apart? i might haveta get someone to help me when i do it cause i can see myself sitting around in the end with a bunch of carb parts and no actual carbs, haha.

thanks again for all your input
zach

Old 12-18-2005, 08:23 PM
Retired Mod

if you feel intimidated or question your skill in doing a good job, the best advise i can give is to take it to a shop. it's going to cost you some money but the job will get done right. besides, you said in your first post that it won't start. the problem may be something other than the carbs. i would do all the tune-up stuff (air filter, new plugs, oil change, charge/change battery, check all electrical connections, new gas) that you are comfortable with and see what happens. if there is still a problem, then take it to a shop and see what they say.

Old 12-18-2005, 11:20 PM

ORIGINAL: plastikmelter
thanks for the replies, i have gotten a hold of a service manual and looking through the carb section i have to admit i am a little intimidated! i would love to take the carbs apart as i think it would be a valuble learning experiance for me, i'm just not sure if i have the skill level to do it, haha.
That's where the confidence comes in.

as for the as far as synchronizing the carbs, what all is involved with that? i have no experiance with anything like that so some input would be appreciated.
You need special mercury tubes (about $50) to measure and equalize the engine vacuum from each cylinder. But you do that after the carbs are clean.

as opposed to going crazy with carb cleaner, what is the best way to actually go about cleaning them out once they are taken apart? i might haveta get someone to help me when i do it cause i can see myself sitting around in the end with a bunch of carb parts and no actual carbs, haha.
Spray carb cleaner is the best, but you have do it outdoors, and wear gloves and eye protection as the stuff is hazardous. You just have to spray it in the jets and air bleeds, but it may spray back in your face. Plus, you do only one carb at a time. After you do the first one, you'll be amazed how simple they are.