General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I change the front sprocket without breaking the chain?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 01:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I change the front sprocket without breaking the chain?

Gonna do, my sprockets tonite i think. So quick question cos i`m gonna try it first anyway.... Can i change the front sprocket without breaking and removing the chain?

P.S I know I should use a new chain with new sprockets before anyone bites.

Old 01-25-2006, 02:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Can I change the front sprocket without breaking the chain?

yeth anubith...you shouldn't break the chain before you loothen the front thprocket anyway cauth it'll keep thpinning and thpinning and thpinning....etc...goth to uthe the brake mang!

Old 01-26-2006, 12:17 AM
Retired Administrator

Tahoe... are you lost? Did you mean to post in the "I'm drunk section"?

No... You don't have to do anything to the chain to change the front sprocket. You will have to adjust the chain adjustments all the way in to get the slack you need. Make sure you take your time and adjust it back out slowly... count the flats on the bolts as you adjust it.

Old 01-26-2006, 07:45 AM

Job done, i was asking because its pretty tight to manovuer around the front sprocket. Just Ordered a Speedo Healer to sort the now misreading speedo out.

For the peeps who use one whats your calculated % out?

Old 01-26-2006, 09:24 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a place on their website (or you can download it to your puter) that'll calculate what ya set it at -- it'll even print out directions. Before you laugh at me for that just take a gander at all the push 4 times and click switch 3 to off click one time and click switch 3 to on and 4 to off etc ... You'll either need to know how far the speedo was when it was stock and punch it into their program or you can compare your speedo now with a GPS and then punch those numbers into their program.

Old 01-26-2006, 01:00 PM

ORIGINAL: chainstretcher

There's a place on their website (or you can download it to your puter) that'll calculate what ya set it at -- it'll even print out directions. Before you laugh at me for that just take a gander at all the push 4 times and click switch 3 to off click one time and click switch 3 to on and 4 to off etc ... You'll either need to know how far the speedo was when it was stock and punch it into their program or you can compare your speedo now with a GPS and then punch those numbers into their program.
what the heck? that is the same code to mah garage opener! don't come over to mah house or else my garage will keep opening and closing! hahahahhah

hey anubith, so glad you DIDN'T cut the chain...LOL...it would've been a bit hard to unthread the sprocket bolt!

don, i don't drink...absolutely against any sort of alcohol...drug abuthe ith life abuthe...ahhhh sheeet...who am i kidding...i goth no job...ith like 8AM and i'm WAITH TED!...thay that quickly!

Old 01-26-2006, 11:28 PM
Retired Administrator

I can always count on Tahoe for a laugh.

I'm considering ordering a speedo healer but I have a problem I'm going over in my head. How useful is it? I mean our bikes not off be a set percentage, it's progressive. So at 60 MPH it's off buy 10% and at 100 it's off by 15%. Rough numbers guys... don't quote me on this. So, where do you set it at? Take an average or go with the speed you use the most? I don't have that option... I'm anywhere between 45 and 110mph daily. Yes... I know, I'm begging for a ticket but I can't help it. I hit the throttle and the next thing I know... I'm time traveling. Know what I mean? Back to the Future line, “If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour ... you're gonna see some serious ****.” Sorry.. I think of that line every time I pass 88MPH.

Back to my question.. have any of you thought about this? The progressive inaccuracy… not the movie quote.

Old 01-27-2006, 09:52 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The error may be progressive but it's not quite as blatant as 5% at 50 and 10% at 100. More like 5% at 50 and 7% at 100. Sometimes it's not linear at all but pretty much a constant percentage. The big reason to install a speedo healer is to keep from racking up all those extra miles when you change your gearing for all that low rpm horsepower that we all know exists. I put -1/+1 on mine and set it according to the instructions (again, don't laugh until you tried it without them) and it came out at 13% and change. It's dead nuts accurate between 60-70 ... haven't been by one of those radar trailers at higher speed yet to find out how close it is at 100+.

Old 01-27-2006, 10:25 AM

ORIGINAL: Tahoe

hey anubith, so glad you DIDN'T cut the chain...LOL...it would've been a bit hard to unthread the sprocket bolt!

I did mean after i`d loosened the front sprocket bolt, what kind of a dumbass dy` a think i am? []

I ment when all undone did i have enough room to slip the front sprocket out, incase you were wondering I can`t forsee this ally sprocket lasting long so thats why i didn`t buy a new change to go with them.

Hey, Chain before i go look are they easy to install? I`m in work and prob gonna do it tonight,

Old 01-27-2006, 12:48 PM

i don't think you're a dumbass anubith!
i just think you're a hooligan.

as far as the speedo percentage increasing as speeds increase...yo meng...do the math.
it doesn't go from 5% at 10 mph to 50% at 100 miles per hour.
it's the same percentage all the way through.
so at 10% error, at 10 mph it's 1 off.
at 20 mph it's 2 off...the MPH error as you increase in speed, but not the percentage.

got it? the percentage off remains constant while the MPH off increases with speed. only time percentage can increase or decrease with speed is if the sprocket or tire, etc. gets bigger or smaller as speeds increase. Since they remain a constant size, percentage off remains the same.

any questions? ok, now go home and study and tell everyone, there will be a quiz on this on monday.

Quick Reply: Can I change the front sprocket without breaking the chain?