General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam chain tensioner?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 04:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam chain tensioner?

Hey all, hate to post again but im unsure of what my problem is and don't want to spendmoney on a part I don't need... so I have a 2002 f4i with 23k on it andi recently highsided at the track... got the bike all fixed up and started riding but noticed that when I start it up there's a clicking sound which frequency is the same as engine speed, sounds like coming from cams...... if I rev up it increases.. when the bike warms up the clicking gets quoted but doesn't go away... also only.when the bike is warmed up when I let off the throttle there a knocking sound coming from rite under the tank... sounds like maybe a cylinder not firing... again only when warmed up... could this be a bad cam chain tensioned??? Any suggestions appreciated

Old 04-30-2011, 04:13 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

Jesus mate, that doesn't sound pleasant.
I think this may be a good case for a little video and sound recording before too much comment can be made.
Any chance you can get something up on the 'tube of youness'?
Glad you got the bike fixed up. Did it suffer much other damage? How fast were you going?
I'm no F4i expert but a listen to your symptoms may help stimulate a few suggestions from the CBR posse.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:24 PM

At work now but can get a video up in2-3 hours... irs been worrying me but the bike runs fairly normal...
as for the off I was going about 80mph when it happened... my oil filter blew up and dumped oil on rear tire and all over the track... bike was pretty beat up... radiator forks subframe plastics front cowl bracket front rotors... all needed replacing... bike was flipping all over and landed on my head giving me a pretty bad concusion... but fine now lol

Old 04-30-2011, 04:31 PM

Having just wound my jaw back into place after reading your crash details, can I just say.... THE BIKE LANDED ON YOUR HEAD?????
Glad you're LOLing. It sounds highly undesirable. Concussion sucks. Having a crushed skull sucks harder. Glad you came through it.

I'll take a listen to your knockings later.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:44 PM

Yea as it was flipping it somehow managed to catch me... everythi g that could've gone bad that day did.... but im used to bad luck since im a victim of it all d time...

Old 04-30-2011, 04:50 PM

Sounds like you could use some therapy. Being prepared for it.... that's one thing. Being used to it? Unnecessary methinks!

Old 04-30-2011, 05:05 PM

Lol no ill pass on the therapy ... just saying people always tell me Adam you have the worst luck lol .... im that guy

Old 04-30-2011, 06:59 PM

Hey, took a video but the audio is terrible so that wont really work... any ideas??

Old 05-01-2011, 07:17 AM

I've had that problem before. It's down to the recording equipment at the end of the day. See if you can beg borrow or steal some better kit.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:29 PM

Lol don't like to beg or steal lol... maybe borrow... no one can guess from the described symptoms??

Quick Reply: cam chain tensioner?