General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

buzzin

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 02:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buzzin

this may be a stupid question, but every now and then my bike makes a weird buzzing noise, usually after ive given it some ****... its just a buzzing sound that lasts about a second.

i figured it could be the oil level as it did it the other day when the oil was a bit low, but since then i've changed the oil and its not low at all. but still makes the noise.

i wouldnt think its the temp as the guage was reading half way and everytime its made the noise so far its been on a cool day. i cant think of anything else...

My GS used to make the same noise but after a while i just ignored it and then just before it died the noise got more and more frequent...

so does anyone know what could be making the noise. ?

oh btw the bike's a 2000 F4

Old 08-08-2009, 05:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dunno, faired bikes can get all sorts of weird stuff happening & the sound can be transmitted from where ever & heard through place like the screen.
Had a couple (& still have the odd one or so) that I managed to track down, but its a process of elimination.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:34 AM

I had a similar problem on my bike. I found that one of my bolts that holds the fairings together at the bottom of my bike was missing. Replaced it, and now the sound is gone. It's most likely just fairings chattering at a certain engine frequency.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:40 PM

I posted a similar question about the same thing last week on my 600rr. Noise is rpm sensitive. Grabbed to the top of the windscreen and it affects things. Narrow rpm range when noise occurs, then it disappears. Seems like it's worse when it's hot outside, heat causing the fairings and everything else to expand/distort very slightly(?) Noise not near as bad/sometimes goes away in cool temps. Some guys report using silicone at various locations where things are joined as a cusion if all else fails. Haven't tried this yet, as there's a rumor of a recall for this condition on the 08 600rr, but if Honda don't address it, I may try it. It shouldn't hurt anything.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

harmonics certain rpm = certain frequency = vibration or buzzing sound.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:55 AM

oh ok, yeh it mostly does it in cooler weather, at around 80-90mph, but it doesnt do it everytime i go out on the bike, its very inconsistent... like i said my old bike used to do it at around the same speed.. it's probably my boots or helmet or something stupid..