General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bump Start

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 05:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bump Start

I crashed my F4 about 9 months ago, the battery is dead and the starter switchis broken.

I want to be able to start it to show someone that may be buying it.

Can I bump start it if the Battery is dead, dead? and Do I need to use the Starter Switch to do so?
I think the Kill switch is ok, but the Starter (thumb) plastic inside the switch housing broke.

Thanks alot guys!

Old 07-02-2008, 06:27 PM
Default RE: Bump Start

ORIGINAL: frstplce1

I crashed my F4 about 9 months ago, the battery is dead and the starter switchis broken.

I want to be able to start it to show someone that may be buying it.

Can I bump start it if the Battery is dead, dead? and Do I need to use the Starter Switch to do so?
I think the Kill switch is ok, but the Starter (thumb) plastic inside the switch housing broke.

Thanks alot guys!
No. Yes

Old 07-02-2008, 06:41 PM

Are you sure? I just found a few sites, that show how to bump start and none of them require the starter switch.

Turn ignition On,
Kill Switch = Run,
Put in 2nd Gear,
Push, Run however you plan to get moving,
Let Clutch Out till engine starts,
Bring Clutch back in.

The only thing I'm not sure about then, is my battery being comletely dead. I could try to get it charged.
It's impossible to bump start with a dead battery?

Old 07-02-2008, 07:00 PM

You should be able to bump start, but only if the battery's good. If not, the electronic ignition won't spark.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can jump start your bike with a dead battery, been there, done that, when my reg went, it happened a couple of time. if you can't start it in second (which it will ) try 3rd.
My other bit of advice is this, if your trying to sell your bike, I can see any potential buyer either not wanting it or knocking heaps of $'s of your asking price. Nothing says I've got you over a barrel, more than a guy trying push start a car/bike. Its giving the message that this machine probably has something else wrong with it & so their going to bargain hard. For a few bucks outlay from say a wreckers, you can replace that switch, think of it as an investment (have the battery charged to)

Old 07-02-2008, 09:31 PM

ORIGINAL: pacemaker

You can jump start your bike with a dead battery, been there, done that, when my reg went, it happened a couple of time. if you can't start it in second (which it will ) try 3rd.
My other bit of advice is this, if your trying to sell your bike, I can see any potential buyer either not wanting it or knocking heaps of $'s of your asking price. Nothing says I've got you over a barrel, more than a guy trying push start a car/bike. Its giving the message that this machine probably has something else wrong with it & so their going to bargain hard. For a few bucks outlay from say a wreckers, you can replace that switch, think of it as an investment (have the battery charged to)
+1 that realy good advice you should listen, it would mean a lot more $ in your pocket for spending very little.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:49 AM

So, I just tried to bump it. It didn't start, but it did turn over. I was going plenty fast enough down a nice hill.

I don't think there's enough juice to even run the fuel pump. So, I'm going to try and get some charge into the battery or replace it.
The buyer already know's I can't start it right now, so he asked if we can try bump starting it.

I'm trying to get it running, because that will obviously help me out a lot.

Thanks

Old 07-04-2008, 04:01 PM

Well, I bought a new battery and it started up perfect. It's nice to hear the engine run, but it makes me even sadder that I'm selling it.
I just can't afford to keep it.

Oh well. Even with the new battery I couldn't bump start it. I opened the Kill/Starter Switch and connected the wires manually.
It runs just like it did 8 months ago before my accident! What a great bike.

Thanks for the help guys, I might not be around the forum much. I'm not a real biker anymore[sm=smiley19.gif]